Jurgen Klopp has suggested Liverpool have plans beyond Cody Gakpo's signing for the January transfer window, but acknowledged they remain unsure if they will add to their ranks.
The arrival of Gakpo from PSV, fresh from a strong World Cup with the Netherlands in which he scored three goals, was confirmed on Wednesday as the Reds' first bit of business ahead of the New Year.
The Dutchman's acquisition is a key one for Klopp, but the German remained tight-lipped over what impact it will have on any further transfer targets.
"In principle it's like this for all people in the world," he said at a press conference on Thursday. "The money you spend has an impact on the money you can spend [in the future].
"It's not that it increases it. It has nothing to do with each other.
"We know what we want to do, and we will see if we can do it."
In adding Gakpo to his ranks, Klopp is able to plug a gap left by injuries to Luis Diaz and Diogo Jota, both of whom are expected to be out for another two to three months.
The Reds manager said Gakpo's arrival was not a plan informed by that situation though, adding the transfer had been in the works prior to Diaz suffering a recent recurrence of his knee problem.
"The injuries were not at all an impact [on the signing]," he said. "We decided to do something from a sports point of view without having the financial green light already, two or three months ago."