Liverpool are reportedly “keen” to sign a new midfielder this month and two targets have been picked out ahead of their summer pursuit of Jude Bellingham.
It is common knowledge that Liverpool are in the market for new midfielders this month as that area of the pitch is clearly their weak point.
It is likely that they will wait until the summer to add to their squad after they have already spent up to £44m to sign Cody Gakpo from PSV Eindhoven.
But TEAMtalk transfer expert Graeme Bailey is reporting that they are “keen to bring someone in” this month.
They are naturally being linked with several midfielders and Bailey has picked out Sofyan Amrabat and Moises Caicedo as potential additions.
Amrabat was touted as a potential addition as he shone for Morocco at the World Cup but not much has been said about a move to Liverpool in recent weeks.
Caicedo meanwhile has made a huge impact for Brighton and the 21-year-old performed well for Ecuador at the World Cup.
Bailey confirms that Jurgen Klopp is a “huge fan” of Amrabat but the Reds also have “interest” in Caicedo.
“There’s no getting away from the fact that Liverpool need to sort their midfield out, and they know it,” Bailey told TEAMtalk.
“In terms of this month they have been keen to bring someone in, and Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat is a player that Klopp is a huge fan of.
“His performance at the World Cup finals was exceptional, but that has meant that his value is firm and Fiorentina don’t look like they will be persuaded into a loan deal with options – something which they were willing to do last year.
“There is also someone like Moises Caicedo, the Brighton star. He has a lot of Premier League interest and Liverpool are one of those.
“However, to land him this January is going to be very tough. Brighton will be asking at least £50m, but I believe in excess of £60m.”
Liverpool would love to sign Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund in the summer but it is expected that he will cost around £130m.
They also face a battle with the likes of Man City and Real Madrid. Bailey adds that a deal for Bellingham is “far from” being finalised.
“The elephant in the room whenever you talk Liverpool and midfielders, if you like, is obviously Jude Bellingham,” he added.
“We know they love, we know they want him – but we also know that a deal is not done yet. Far from it!
“And whilst there is confidence at Anfield that they could land him, they also know the player has options with Real Madrid and Manchester City also desperate to secure his signature. It’s also not a guarantee that he will actually leave [Dortmund] this year.”
Any potential additions are expected to replace Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as the pair are out of contract in 2023.
Both players have only played sparingly for Liverpool of late as they have struggled with injuries.
But the same report claims that Klopp is ‘open to a shock U-turn’ to keep both players beyond this season.
“When it comes to Liverpool’s midfield, the revolution could very well come within. And those players who currently look like departing are Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita. Both fall out of contract on July 1,” Bailey continued.
“As it stands, both are due to leave, but I believe that Klopp would be open to them staying now both are involved again.
“All in all, there are many decisions for Klopp to make, but so many big decisions for Liverpool!”
The article Klopp ‘open to shock U-turn’ with Liverpool ‘keen’ to sign £60m Prem star or ‘exceptional’ alternative appeared first on Football365.com.