Liverpool’s prospects of making a huge January transfer raid for a rival’s all-action midfielder have received a major boost amid claims the player has told friends he is seriously tempted by an Anfield switch.
Jurgen Klopp has already invested heavily this month by signing Cody Gakpo in a deal that could top £45m. The Dutchman is in line to make his debut for the club in Saturday night’s FA Cup third-round clash against Wolves. Boosting their attack, Gakpo will be added to the Reds’ incredible array of attacking talent.
However, there is no getting away from the fact that Liverpool need to strengthen in midfield. James Milner turned 37 this week and there are growing claims this will be his final season at Anfield.
Beyond that, both Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita fall out of contract on June 30. And the duo are both likely to leave Anfield as free agents after injury-riddled spells.
As such, Klopp is looking to make at least two new midfield additions this year.
Signing such players though will be far from easy. The world’s top midfielders come with a serious premium, as illustrated by Chelsea’s plans to sign £105.6m Enzo Fernandez.
The Reds also had a strong interest in the Argentine. But Chelsea’s determination to pursue a deal – together with Benfica’s demand to only sell for his exit clause – has forced Liverpool to look elsewhere.
And while the No 1 target is Jude Bellingham, Klopp has at least been told the signing is his if he pursues the deal.
Now it seems the Reds are also making progress over another potential swoop in Moises Caicedo.
Liverpool have already reportedly seen a £62m bid to land the Brighton man swatted away by the Seagulls.
Liverpool given Moises Caicedo transfer lift
Klopp and Co remain unfazed and are reportedly pondering an increased offer to prise the player to Merseyside.
That transfer could ultimately cost them as much as £70m. But their hopes were lifted earlier this week amid claims the Ecuadorian has changed his agent in an effort to force through a move.
Liverpool are not alone in their admiration for the 21-year-old. And familiar foes Chelsea are also reportedly among the suitors for the Brighton man amid fears N’Golo Kante could depart.
However, Liverpool’s prospects of a deal are reportedly on the rise amid another serious boost on Saturday. That’s amid claims that the midfielder has told friends he wants the move to Anfield.
The claims come from Football Insider, who reports that the defensive midfielder is ‘definitely interested’ in joining Liverpool. Furthermore, he has made clear his intentions to those closest to him.
Caicedo has been a revelation this season playing alongside Alexis Mac Allister in midfield. The former has played in all but one of their 17 games, helping Roberto De Zerbi’s side climb to eighth in the Premier League table.
However, it seems they face a serious battle to retain the services of Caicedo in light of Liverpool’s growing interest.
Brighton stance on Caicedo sale
The Seagulls, though, understandably do not want to sell their star man.
He has become a fundamental component of their side, proving one of the best around in his position.
Brighton chief executive Paul Barber has discussed Liverpool’s interest in Caicedo, insisting they are yet to receive any approaches.
Speaking to CBS journalist Ben Jacobs, he joked: “I’m pleased to say we haven’t had any [offers]. Maybe they [Liverpool] haven’t got my email.”
Brighton and Liverpool face one another in the Premier League next weekend, January 14, at the AMEX. And the Reds’ pursuit of Caicedo will certainly make things more interesting with the two clubs separated by just a single point.
READ MORE: Liverpool get green light to sign angered ex-Man Utd star who’ll push cult favourite out and solve looming second issue
The article Klopp told Premier League midfielder definitely wants Liverpool switch as talk heats up over monumental January transfer appeared first on Teamtalk.com.