LAPD ends investigation into Corey Feldman's sex abuse claims

Suzy Byrne
Editor, Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle
Corey Feldman on the Today show on Oct. 30, 2017. (Photo: Nathan Congleton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank)

Corey Feldman finally went public with the names of some of his alleged abusers, but they won’t be prosecuted, because the statute of limitations has expired.

On Thursday, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department told Yahoo Entertainment that while their detectives are “committed to protecting victims of sexual assault and will thoroughly investigate any report of a sex-related crime,” in the case of the Stand by Me and The Lost Boys actor, 46, “unfortunately, according to California law, the alleged occurrence is out of statute, and Robbery-Homicide detectives have no other avenues to pursue this case.”

Feldman’s spokesperson tells Yahoo that he has “no comment at this time” about the setback. However, Feldman retweeted a message a woman sent to the LAPD, which said that the agency “failed the public by not taking Mr. Feldman’s report seriously in the past.” Feldman has said he first divulged the identity of the men to the Santa Barbara police, not the LAPD, in 1993.


The former child star, who has long claimed he was sexually abused in his early days of fame, had met with LAPD officials on Monday to discuss his allegations. As of yesterday, they were investigating whatever info he shared with them.

In his 2013 memoir, Coreyography, Feldman wrote about being sexually abused, but he didn’t name names for legal reasons until last week. During an appearance on The Dr. Oz Show, he stated that Jon Grissom, an actor and Feldman’s former assistant, abused him. Grissom has previously denied the allegations. In a subsequent appearance on Megyn Kelly Today, Feldman also named child talent manager — and convicted sex offender — Marty Weiss. Weiss hasn’t commented on the allegations. Feldman said that a third abuser is currently employed by the Los Angeles Dodgers.


Before naming names, Feldman started an online fundraiser to make a film about his life that would expose pedophilia in Hollywood. He has raised over $200,000 to date and still plans to make the movie.

On Thursday, Feldman was asked to weigh in on the tabloid the National Enquirer’s story alleging that his best friend, Corey Haim, who died in 2010, was sexually abused by Charlie Sheen — a story that has been categorically denied by Sheen. In a statement to Fox News, Feldman’s rep said, “Corey can only speak about his own experiences. He can only attest to events that he actually saw; anything he was told by other victims is merely hearsay. Unfortunately, some of them are not here to recount their horrors, and all we can hope is that all abusers are held accountable.”

 

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes