Laurence Fox apologises for Sikh comment but stands by everything else

Julia HuntContributor
Yahoo Celebrity UK
Laurence Fox attends the Walpole British Luxury Awards 2019 (David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Walpole)
Laurence Fox attends the Walpole British Luxury Awards 2019 (David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Walpole)

Laurence Fox has apologised to the Sikh community for being “clumsy” after questioning the appearance of a Sikh soldier in war film 1917 - but said he stands by everything else he has said of late.

The Lewis actor, 41, has been in the headlines following a controversial appearance on Question Time, which started as a debate over Meghan Markle’s treatment at the hands of the British press.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

It saw him embroiled in a racism debate, at one point accusing an audience member (who was later revealed to be a university lecturer and race and ethnicity researcher) of being “racist” for suggesting he was a privileged white male.

Read more: Laurence Fox offered history lesson over Sikh comments

After his appearance on the BBC show he went on to say that “woke” people are racist.

And on James Delingpole’s podcast The Delingpod, Fox questioned the inclusion of the Sikh soldier in Sir Sam Mendes’ World War I film, claiming it distracted from the storyline in its efforts to show diversity.

However, the actor has said sorry for his comment, writing on Twitter: “Fellow humans who are Sikhs.

"I am as moved by the sacrifices your relatives made as I am by the loss of all those who die in war, whatever creed or colour.

Read more: Laurence Fox’s Question Time episode draws complaints

"Please accept my apology for being clumsy in the way I have expressed myself over this matter in recent days."

Laurence Fox attends the 65th Evening Standard Theatre Awards at the London Coliseum on November 24, 2019 in London (Mike Marsland/WireImage)
Laurence Fox attends the 65th Evening Standard Theatre Awards at the London Coliseum on November 24, 2019 in London (Mike Marsland/WireImage)

Fox - who is father to sons Winston, 11, and Eugene, seven, with ex-wife Billie Piper – followed it up with a second post which said: “I stand by everything else I said and will continue to do so.

“Sleep well.”

The actor previously admitted that he had received death threats and was struggling to sleep following the Question Time controversy.

He told Good Morning Britain: “I have a small bout of, hopefully, temporary insomnia. I’ve had death threats and I have got children.

“I’ve had death threats, yeah, [in the last week] and it’s not pleasant.”

Fox is a member of the Fox acting dynasty – his father is James Fox, his uncle is Edward Fox and his cousins are Freddie and Emilia Fox.

What to read next