League Cup - Twelve-goal thriller goes to penalties on night of insane results

The season is barely four days old but already football fans have been treated to what could end up as the highest-scoring match of the season.

League Cup - Chelsea v Tottenham preview: Can Spurs stun Chelsea again?

View photo

Detail of the Capital One Cup trophy (PA Photos)

Dagenham & Redbridge hosted Brentford in the Capital One Cup in a crazy match that ended 6-6 after extra-time, with Brentford going through after winning the penalty shoot-out 4-2.

Ashley Hemmings score a 90th minute equaliser which meant the sides were locked at 4-4 after 90 minutes.

That sent the game to extra-time - which saw two further goals before Hemmings appeared to settle it with a 113th minute strike for the home team.

But the story wasn't yet over: Brentford defender Harlee Dean equalised with three minutes left to send the match to a shoot-out.

And Brentford kept the momentum going into sudden death, scoring all four of their penalties while misses from Jack Connors and Ashley Chambers saw Dagenham's hopes die at last.

It was not the only goalfest of the night: there were also eight goals at Port Vale, but in a rather more one-sided match as Hartlepool United - the only all-English side in the football league - went out of the competition at the first hurdle.

Hartlepool were on the wrong end of a 6-2 thrashing by Vale, whose hat-trick from Ben Williamson inside the opening 20 minutes as good as settled the tie.

There were also eight goals at Chesterfield, though this time it was the home team on the wrong side of the bumper scoreline as they lost 5-3 to Huddersfield Town.

Chesterfield looked all set to go through as they led 3-1 with six minutes left, but goals from Nahki Wells and Jon Stead forced extra-time where Wells scored again - completing his hat-trick - and Joe Lolley added another to decide things.

All the scores, scorers and details from every match

Just as crazy was the game between Plymouth Argyle and Leyton Orient, which went to penalties after finishing 3-3 after extra-time.

Things were still all square after six penalties each, but Plymouth's Carl McHugh missed while Leyton Orient's Mathieu Baudry scored to put the Londoners into the second round.

Bolton Wanderers also came through an extraordinary thriller, needing a penalty seven minutes into injury time to snatch a 1-1 draw at full time against Bury, before going on to win 3-2 after extra-time.

Bolton's fellow Championship side Wigan Athletic had no such luck as they were dumped out of the competition by Burton Albion as they lost 2-1.

All seemed to be going to plan for the visitors, who won the FA Cup two years ago in the season that they were relegated from the Premier League, as they went ahead through Marc-Antoine Fortuné just before the half-hour mark.

But League Two outfit Burton struck back to level on the stroke of half-time through Dominic Knowles with Stuart Beavon adding what proved a decisive second goal just seven minutes into the second half.

Wigan were just one of five Championship teams dumped out by lower league opposition in a dramatic evening. Blackpool also suffered a shock defeat as they fell to a 1-0 loss to Shrewsbury Town who piled further misery on Jose Riga’s side.

Blackburn Rovers and Wolves were conquered by 1-0 Scunthorpe Town and 3-2 by Northampton Town respectively.

Crawley Town completed a night of surprise results against Ipswich as they secured their place in the second round of the cup courtesy of a Izale McLeod strike in extra-time after the 90 minutes finished goalless.

All the scores, and re-live how the goals went in with our Capital One Cup multiplex

View comments (1)