League One - Ched Evans ‘to be offered £3m deal’ after release from prison

Convicted rapist Ched Evans will be taken back by Sheffield United after his early release from prison.

League One - Ched Evans 'deserved to go down' says his own auntie

View photo

Ched Evans outside court during his trial for rape. Evans, 25, will be released in July 2014 after serving half of a five-year sentence (PA)

In 2012 Evans was sentenced to five years in prison after he was found guilty of a rape on May 30 2011.

The Wales striker was sacked by the Blades, for whom he was top scorer in League One, and his football career appeared to be over.

Now 25, he is set for day release this July, halfway through his sentence. He will be allowed to train while wearing an electronic tag and, according to The Mirror, will return to Sheffield United.

United are now managed by Nigel Clough and co-owned by Saudi Prince Abdullah bin Musa’ed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, who bought 50% of the club in September 2013.

Al Saud is keen to take the Blades back into the Championship, and gave co-owner Kevin McCabe and manager Clough the go-ahead to monitor Evans’ fitness and negotiate his return to Bramall Lane.

It is believed he will initially train on a short-term contract and, if he proves he still has what it takes to play professional football, he will be return on his old terms - £18,000-per-week contract.

The chairman of a fans’ group said the player would mostly be welcomed back by supporters.

“Ched is coming back,” Pete Whitney, 78, told the Daily Mirror. “He has his prime years ahead of him.

“I am sure he will get a good reception but of course there might be a small minority who will object.”

Former Manchester City trainee Evans was convicted of raping a19-year-old woman in a hotel room following a night out. Another footballer, Clayton McDonald, was found not guilty of rape. Both admitted having sex with the woman, but insisted it was consensual.

The jury agreed with the prosecution’s accusation that she was too drunk to give consent to Evans. But it cleared McDonald, who had brought the woman back to the Premier Inn hotel in Rhyl, North Wales, with Evans joining them later.

View comments (149)