League One - Tranmere extend lead despite draw

Tranmere Rovers extended their lead at the top of League One to three points despite being held to a 1-1 draw away at fellow promotion-chasers Stevenage.

League One - Tranmere go top with win

View photo

Jake Cassidy of Tranmere Rovers (PA Photos)

Jake Cassidy looked to have earned victory for the visitors when he headed home 12 minutes from time, but Greg Tansey's stoppage-time strike snatched a dramatic point for the hosts.

Ronnie Moore's side stretched their lead at the summit, though, as Sheffield United - who had started the day in second place - went down 2-0 at fifth-placed Brentford.

Clayton Donaldson and Harry Forrester netted the goals in the first half-hour to seal a result which saw the Blades slip two places to fourth.

MK Dons and Doncaster moved second and third, respectively, after both posting emphatic wins.

Luke Chadwick scored twice as MK Dons thrashed 10-man Colchester 5-1 - their fifth win in six games.

Shaun Williams, Jon Otsemobor and substitute Ryan Lowe were also on the scoresheet, with Ian Henderson grabbing a 63rd-minute consolation for the U's before they had substitute Gavin Massey sent off four minutes later.

Doncaster hammered second-bottom Scunthorpe 4-0 at the Keepmoat Stadium. Martin Woods put Rovers ahead in the first half from close range and David Cotterill doubled the lead in the 46th minute before further goals from Rob Jones - against his former club - and Billy Paynter sealed the rout.

Notts County climbed into the final play-off spot thanks to a 1-0 home win over promotion rivals Swindon, Alan Judge's fine solo effort just before the half-hour mark proving decisive.

Bottom-of-the-table Hartlepool picked up their first point under new manager John Hughes in a 1-1 draw at Walsall. Evan Horwood's first-half penalty put the visitors ahead at Banks's Stadium but they were pegged back soon after the interval by Dean Holden's equaliser.

Shrewsbury also remained in the drop zone after a 1-0 defeat at Oldham, Jonathan Grounds' early goal separating the sides at Boundary Park.

Carlisle gave themselves breathing space over the drop zone with a 3-1 victory at Yeovil.

Two goals from 6ft 5in teenager Mark Beck and a Joe Garner header handed the Cumbrians their first win in six league games at a drenched Huish Park, substitute Reuben Reid the man on target for the hosts.

Bury stayed 21st after a 2-2 home draw against 10th-placed Bournemouth, Brett Pitman's stoppage-time equaliser salvaging a point for the visitors.

Troy Hewitt and David Worrall twice put Bury ahead only for Lewis Grabban and Pitman to level.

Portsmouth - above Bury on goal difference - drew 1-1 at Coventry thanks to a last-gasp Izale McLeod equaliser. Gary McSheffrey had put the Sky Blues ahead four minutes before half-time.

Finally, there were 2-0 home wins for 13th-placed Leyton Orient and 14th-spotted Crewe - against Preston and Crawley, respectively.

Mathieu Baudry and Kevin Lisbie were on target for Orient either side of the break, while Lauri Dalla Valle's second-half brace did the job for Crewe.

View comments (1)