League Two - Scunthorpe beat Rochdale to go top

Scunthorpe climbed to the top of League Two after stretching their unbeaten run under new manager Russ Wilcox to eight games with a decisive 3-0 home win against Rochdale.

League Two - Scunthorpe beat Rochdale to go top

View photo

Russ Wilcox has not tasted defeat since becoming Scunthorpe's manager

Scunthorpe climbed to the top of League Two after stretching their unbeaten run under new manager Russ Wilcox to eight games with a decisive 3-0 home win against Rochdale.

All the goals came in the second half, with leading marksman Sam Winnall bagging a brace after midfielder David Syers had opened the scoring.

York started 2014 with their first victory since October and celebrated moving clear of the drop zone having beaten Morecambe 1-0.

The breakthrough came in the 30th minute when Ryan Jarvis scored his ninth goal of the season for the hosts. The striker was on hand to fire high into the net from close range after Morecambe had failed to clear Michael Coulson's corner.

Resurgent Plymouth beat Devon rivals Torquay 2-0 at Home Park to move into the top of half of the table.

On-loan Sheffield Wednesday striker Caolan Lavery had fired Argyle ahead with a superbly-taken first-time strike on the hour.

Lewis Alessandra chested in skipper Conor Hourihane's 85th-minute cross from the left for Plymouth's second goal which sealed all three points and local bragging rights.

Ryan Leonard netted a double to secure Southend a 2-1 win against Portsmouth at Roots Hall.

Leonard scored at the end of both halves to help the Shrimpers come out on top but that came after Portsmouth had dominated the first half.

Southend goalkeeper Daniel Bentley did well to deny Ricky Holmes, Marcus Painter and Jed Wallace before he was finally beaten on the half hour mark when Sonny Bradley side footed home Ashley Harris' right-wing corner.

The Shrimpers equalised on the stroke of half time when a deflected long-range shot from Leonard flew in to the bottom left -hand corner of the net.

Leonard popped up again to score a dramatic winner two minutes into stoppage time.

Fleetwood fired themselves back into promotion shake-up with a 3-1 derby victory over Accrington.

It was one-way traffic at Highbury as Jon Parkin fired the home side ahead after just six minutes. It was soon 2-0 as Antoni Sarcevic picked out David Ball at the back post and he doubled Fleetwood's lead.

The visitors' first effort on target yielded a goal as a soft free-kick floated over the Fleetwood wall by Josh Windass found Odejayi unmarked and he headed home.

The fightback would not last, though, substitutes Stewart Murdoch and Daniel Carr combining to claim the points for Fleetwood - the former on the break, the latter applying a composed finish to bag his first goal for the club deep into injury time.

Bury recorded only their second away win of the season as they eased past Hartlepool 3-0 at Victoria Park.

Danny Mayor fired the Shakers into the lead after five minutes, his low shot from 20 yards deceiving goalkeeper Scott Flinders, who could only help it into the net.

It was two-nil on 12 minutes when Daniel Nardiello latched onto a slide-rule pass to curl his finish beyond Flinders from the edge of the area.

And the Shakers clinched a comprehensive win after 75 minutes, defender Richard Hinds sweeping in from close range after a long Veseli free-kick landed in the penalty area to lift Bury five points clear of the drop zone.

Mansfield's home clash against high-flying Burton survived two pre-match pitch inspections but only served up a dour 0-0 draw in terrible swirling wind and driving rain.

Abu Ogogo's goal gave Dagenham & Redbridge a winning start to 2014 as AFC Wimbledon were beaten 1-0 at Victoria Road.

View comments (0)