Leinster trail Edinburgh at Murrayfield ghost town

Patrick McCarry
Leinster trail Edinburgh at Murrayfield ghost town
Leinster trail Edinburgh at Murrayfield ghost town

Leinster trail edinburgh 8-3 at half-time in a near deserted Murrayfield.

Matt O’Connor’s men struggled to piece together any meaningful, sustained attacks in the first-half due to poor handling and silly penalty concessions.

Rain and heavy winds are lashing both sets of players and the first setpiece of the game told a sorry story. Aaron Dundon’s overthrow was spilled near the back of the line and fell, briefly, into the hands of Dave Denton who knocked on.

The ground was cutting up during scrums but Leinster’s front row of Michael Bent, Dundon and Martin Moore battled gamely to achieve parity in the opening stages. Leinster’s first attacking thrust of note came on 19 minutes when Jordi Murphy broke a couple of tackles before he was hauled short in the “22.

Leinster’s pressure was rewarded two minutes later as Ian Madigan converted from just outside the Edinburgh 22. The confidence boost of that opening score encouraged the out-half to try an ambitious crossfield kick to Luke Fitzgerald on the left wing. The kick was well judged but Fitzgerald fumbled the ball forward.

Greig Laidlaw then got the paltry coupling of home fans out of their seats with a break straight up the centre. He was dragged down 20 metres short of the line by Zane Kirchner but Edinburgh retained possession. Laidlaw was back with the ball in his hand and he found Dougie Fife out on the left flank after fullback Jack Cuthbert took two Leinster players out of the game with a diversionary run.

The home side pressed for further points and were rewarded when Isaac Boss was penalised for coming in from the side. Laidlaw, who missed the earlier conversion, slotted over the close range penalty.

More to follow…

Stunning Jared Payne try sparks Ulster against Zebre

Clondalkin rugby club players bare all for charity calendar

What to read next