Liga - Villas-Boas denies he's opened talks with Barcelona

Andre Villas-Boas has denied rumours he has opened discussions to become the next Barcelona manager.

Eurosport
Liga - Villas-Boas denies he's opened talks with Barcelona
.

View photo

FC Zenit St. Petersburg's new head coach Andre Villas-Boas (L) speaks with his team's Brazilian star Hulk (AFP)

The Zenit Saint-Petersburg boss has been linked in the Spanish and Russian media with a move to the Liga giants despite difficult spells in charge of Chelsea and Tottenham in the Premier League.

Villas-Boas only took over Zenit last month but his name is back en vogue after guiding them to five victories in his first five games in charge.

Barcelona are expected to change managers in the summer after a difficult spell in charge from Tata Martino.

However, Villas-Boas said he was committed to his Russian club and had no intention of leaving.

"All the rumours about my negotiations with Barcelona representatives are completely groundless," the 36 year-old told reporters.

"I’ve signed the contract with Zenit and I’m set to stay here until its expiry date. My work with Zenit is my top priority.”

Zenit stayed one point clear at the top of the Russian League table after a 2-1 win over Anzhi Makhachkala on Saturday.

“It was a very difficult but also a very important match for us,” he said.

"It’s a very significant win for us as we managed to maintain our lead.

"Now, with few matches left we have no choice but to treat each one of our remaining games as a final."

View comments (7)