Lions stay focused after big win

PA Sport
Assistant manager Joe Gallen insists Millwall are already looking ahead to Tuesday's clash

View photo

Assistant manager Joe Gallen insists Millwall are already looking ahead to Tuesday's clash

Millwall were in seventh heaven after a stunning victory 4-1 over much-fancied Nottingham Forest at The City Ground, but all the talk afterwards was about keeping their feet on the ground.

The Lions stretched their unbeaten run to seven games and did so in some style with a hard-working display that was decorated with some clinical finishing.

However, assistant manager Joe Gallen insisted: "The important thing is for us not to get carried away with it. While our fans and everyone connected with the club can feel pretty pleased with the way things have gone today, by tomorrow it will be all over."

He added: "It's a massive achievement to come to a place like this, score four goals and beat Forest. When you see the team that Forest put on the pitch they are very impressive and then you get more worried at the quality they have to come off the bench.

"We have a tough game against Watford on Tuesday night and we have not beaten them in our last four meetings so we will go there and try and do something about that."

Millwall could not have had a better lift-off to the game than what was provided inside the first two minutes by Liam Trotter. Forest failed to deal with a free-kick by James Henry and when it fell to Trotter he side-stepped Simon Gillett before firing an angled shot beyond Lee Camp.

Forest got back on level terms in the 21st minute when Billy Sharp played a one-two with strike partner Simon Cox and produced a smart finish, but in the 59th minute Darius Henderson headed his seventh goal of the season from an exquisite Henry cross and 16 minutes later Henry had the Forest defence back-pedalling to set up a chance that Chris Wood despatched for his fifth goal in three games.

Six minutes from time Millwall ruled out any chance of a Forest comeback when Chris Taylor got free on the left to supply a cross which substitute Andy Keogh put away from close range.

Forest boss Sean O'Driscoll said: "We didn't really see that coming - the game was quite tight and at half-time it was 50-50. It looked as though our front two or their front two would win and their front two did it for them.

"We are still forming as a team and didn't function as well as we had been doing recently. There were reasons for that like injuries, suspension and enforced changes. We keep swapping and changing - it's not an excuse but it doesn't help."

View comments (1)