Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has revealed that he was scared after hearing the news about Borussia Dortmund's bus attack on Tuesday evening before their Champions League tie with Monaco.
Bombs were detonated by the team bus which hospitalised Marc Bartra with an arm injury; thankfully, no one else was hurt. However, Klopp, who spent eight successful years at Dortmund, was understandably concerned for his friends.
“I don’t think what I say is too important. Everybody can imagine it was a difficult moment for me because I don’t know how often I was in the team hotel with Dortmund," Klopp said, as per Mirror.
"I know exactly the road. A lot of my friends were in the bus. I was on the way home from Melwood and Matt called me and told me something happened.
“I was really concerned, scared for them. In the first moment it was a bit of relief, then you hear the more information you get the more serious it got.
"I had contact with people but I didn’t want to bother them with my silly questions. I was waiting with the rest of the world. The lats thing I thought about was the game."
Dortmund's match was rescheduled for Wednesday night, a move which has since been criticised by manager Thomas Tuchel and a selection of his players. Klopp believes that the authorities should have weighed up the situation better before making the decision.
“I can 100 percent understand both sides - it was difficult to find another date. I think everybody could understand if you couldn’t play it.
“I was really proud of Borussia Dortmund. When they played the game they tried to give the best. I saw the faces of my former players and I saw the shock in their eyes and that was really, really hard.
“It will take time to deal with it. I’m pretty sure the people who make the decision afterwards, if they had been in the bus they would not have played the game.
“If you are not in the bus you cannot imagine how it is exactly.
“I am like all the other football fans in the world, the only difference is I know all of them.”