Advertisement

Liverpool turn to former Everton favourite as centre-back bid rejected

Liverpool reported back for pre-season on Friday, but remain without a number of first team players due to their excursions at Euro 2024 and Copa America.

Meanwhile, incoming head coach Arne Slot faced the media for the first time on the same day, and confirmed he expects further additions to his new-look Reds coaching team.

After taking charge of training for the first time over the weekend, the Dutchman is reportedly closing in on the first of such appointments. However, he could also be about to lose a further member of his first team squad after Liverpool rejected a bid for one defender.

Liverpool turn to Everton star as replacement for departing coach found

Slot confirmed that Liverpool were looking to appoint a further two coaches to his backroom team on Friday, with announcements expected shortly. Having reported back for the start of pre-season over the weekend, it would appear the Reds having moved a step closer to making such announcements.

READ MORE: Liverpool 'set sights' on Andy Robertson replacement as emotional exit confirmed

READ MORE: Trent Alexander-Arnold Liverpool contract talks to ramp up as £26m deal pays off

The Daily Mail reports that former Man City coach Aaron Briggs has been chosen as Vitor Matos’ successor as elite development coach. The 37-year-old most recently served as assistant manager at VfL Wolfsburg, and also spent time at AS Monaco following nine years at the Etihad as an analyst and coach.

Meanwhile, former Everton defender Johnny Heitinga is under consideration to take over as Liverpool’s new first team coach after leaving West Ham United this summer. The Netherlands international has confirmed that he has held talks with the club, but the Mail reports there are other options being considered to join Slot’s backroom team.

"The only thing I can say now is that I have been approached (by Liverpool) and that my agent Rob Jansen and I are in talks," the former Netherlands international told De Telegraaf.

Heitinga made 140 appearances for the Blues during four and a half years at Goodison Park, and spent last season as David Moyes’ assistant manager at the London Stadium following a six-month stint as caretaker manager at Ajax.

Elsewhere, the Mail also reports that former Liverpool goalkeeping coach Jack Robinson is set to replace Fabian Otte with the United States national team following the German’s own move to Anfield. Curiously, former Reds boss Jurgen Klopp continues to be linked with the USA manager’s job following their group-stage exit at the Copa America.

Liverpool reject £4m bid for defender

Liverpool have reportedly rejected a £4m bid from Turkish side Trabzonspor for Nat Phillips.

The 27-year-old, who spent last season on loan at first Celtic and then Cardiff City, reported for pre-season back at the AXA Training Centre last week. And the Athletic reported the Reds have already rejected a bid for his services.

They suggest that Liverpool value the defender at £8m, and with Virgil van Dijk, Ibrahima Konate and Joe Gomez still away at Euro 2024, are in no rush to sell the centre-back regardless.

Phillips is also said to be attracting interest from a number of Championship sides, including Burnley. Back in April, he admitted his Anfield future was uncertain and revealed that he had two years left on his current contract.