Liverpool’s Champions League opponents Napoli have been instructed by Uefa to guarantee the suitability of their arena to host next week’s group opener.
The response from Europe’s governing body follows Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti launching a tirade against those responsible for renovating the dressing room at the San Paolo stadium, where Liverpool play on Tuesday.
Ancelotti branded those entrusted with improving the facilities "incompetent" and his club posted a video on their website highlighting the poor conditions.
Although Liverpool have been informed the away dressing room is not affected, Uefa say they are talking to Napoli about the situation.
“We are liaising with the club to get all necessary assurances and guarantees that the dressing rooms and any other relevant facilities are ready and suitable for next week’s Uefa Champions League match,” said a Uefa spokesman.
The Italians played their first two Serie A games away as the renovation work continued but Ancelotti is furious at the slow pace of the work.
“I have seen the state of the dressing rooms at the San Paolo. There are no words,” said Ancelotti.
“I accepted the club’s request to play the first two games away from home to allow the work to be finished, as was promised. You can build a house in two months, but they weren’t capable of renovating the dressing rooms. Where are we supposed to get changed for the games against Sampdoria and Liverpool? I’m shocked at the incompetence of the people in charge of the work. I’m dismayed.”
Meanwhile, Liverpool supporters heading to Naples have been warned they face a threat to the personal safety by making the trip.
The club has issued a stark warning to fans not to leave their hotels other than to attend the match, nor wear club colours for fear they will be targeted by Napoli fans.
Queste le condizioni degli spogliatoi del Napoli dello stadio San Paolo, a 70 ore da #NapoliSampdoria, che hanno scatenato la reazione di @MrAncelotti contro Regione, Comune e Commissari. pic.twitter.com/YAROtscwIh
— Official SSC Napoli (@sscnapoli) September 12, 2019
Similar warnings were issued when the clubs met in last year’s competition and there were several incidents when visiting fans were attacked outside the stadium.
Liverpool have liaised with Merseyside police to spell out the dangers to those attending as Jurgen Klopp’s side launch their Champions League defence.
The advice includes a warning to fans not to make their own way to the venue - instead using available shuttle buses - avoiding congregating in groups, and also wearing the correct size belt.
“All belts will be checked and any deemed to have an oversized buckle will be confiscated,” reads the warning.