Man arrested over death of tragic footballer Emiliano Sala

A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act over the death of Cardiff City striker Emiliano Sala in January.

The Argentinian player was killed in a plane crash after signing from French club Nantes during the transfer window.

The body of Pilot David Ibbotson was never found.

Scroll to continue with content
Fans and players paying tribute to Emiliano Sala following his death.
Fans and players paying tribute to Emiliano Sala following his death.

Dorset police said that a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire has been arrested by detectives investigating the death.

Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT), said: “We have carried out a wide-ranging investigation into the circumstances of the death of Mr Sala and continue to work with partner agencies including the Civil Aviation Authority.

“As part of this investigation we have to consider whether there is any evidence of any suspected criminality and as a result of our enquiries we have today, Wednesday 19 June 2019, arrested a 64-year-old man from the North Yorkshire area on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act. He is assisting with our enquiries and has been released from custody under investigation.

“This matter therefore is still subject to a live investigation and I would ask the media and members of the public to refrain from speculation, as this could cause additional distress to the families involved as well as potentially hinder the investigation.

“As is standard practice, we will not be releasing any further information as to the identity of the individual who has been arrested unless that person is charged to appear in court and again would discourage any speculation in relation to this.”

Sala, 28, had signed for The Bluebirds for a reported £15m fee and was travelling from France to the UK when the plane carrying him lost contact with Air Traffic Control on January 21.

Following an extensive search, his body was recovered and brought to Portland Port in Dorset on February 7.

Dorset Police detectives have been carrying out enquiries and investigating the circumstances of the deaths on behalf of HM Coroner.

What to read next