Man Utd need just £21m to land £49.5m De Jong alernative as Napoli star has head turned

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Fabian Ruiz in action for Napoli. Credit: PA Images
Fabian Ruiz in action for Napoli. Credit: PA Images

Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz has refused offers of a renewal with the Serie A side amid interest from Manchester United, who would require just £21m to secure his transfer.

Fabian, who moved to Napoli from Real Betis for £27m in the summer of 2018, has 18 goals and 14 assists in 125 appearances for the Italian side.

READ MORE: Ronaldo leads XI of wantaway Big Six players dominated by Arsenal, Chelsea stars

The 26-year-old’s contract expires in 2023 and Il Mattino (via Sport Witness) claim he’s had his head turned by interest from United, and is now snubbing all offers of contract renewals from Napoli.

Italian football expert Ciro Venerato claimed earlier this week that United had made contact with the Spain international’s representatives, but had not yet made contact with the Serie A club.

Quotidiano.net confirm that his agent ‘would have had a meeting’ with United, and would then have ‘presented an offer’ from the Premier League side to Napoli, which admittedly seems like a slightly odd way around things.

The report states that the offer must have been ‘very low’ as Fabian has been told that he can leave Napoli if there’s an offer of just £21m, which is way below his Transfermarkt valuation of £49.5m.

But as transfer expert Fabrizio Romano revealed on Saturday, United will face competition for Fabian from Real Madrid, with Carlo Ancelotti – who signed the midfielder while in charge of Napoli – remaining a ‘big fan’.

But reports suggest United are yet to give up hope of landing top target Frenkie de Jong.

It’s claimed director John Murtough will make one last ditch attempt to secure the signing of the 25-year-old.

Barcelona have told De Jong that he will need to take a pay cut of around 40 per cent to remain at the Nou Camp, but United are willing to match his current salary and have agreed to pay the £17m arrears he has with the Catalan club.

It would reportedly make him the highest-paid player at Old Trafford and United are said to consider this an ‘irrefutable’ offer and Murtough will tavel to Barcelona for one last meeting in an attempt to ‘solve the matter’.

The report also cites Cristiano Ronaldo – whom De Jong would usurp as the club’s highest earner – as a ‘problem’ for the Dutch midfielder, who would ‘prefer to explore other options such as Chelsea and Bayern Munich’.

The article Man Utd need just £21m to land £49.5m De Jong alernative as Napoli star has head turned appeared first on Football365.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting