Man Utd will take legal action against Cristiano Ronaldo for allegedly breaching his contract as part of a two-fold punishment for his explosive interview.
Ronaldo’s second stint at Old Trafford has unravelled in dramatic fashion. The Portuguese icon, 37, topped the club’s scoring charts with 24 goals across all competitions last season. However, after failing to get the move away he craved over the summer, his situation has devolved into something of a nightmare.
Ronaldo was never likely to be favoured by Erik ten Hag and the player’s frustrations with both club and manager were laid bare for all to hear.
The veteran striker deployed a scorched earth policy when taking aim at the club, their manager, the executives, owners, pundits and former team-mates alike with speaking to TalkTV’s Piers Morgan.
The Guardian report United has no prior knowledge of the interview before initial snippets were leaked into the media earlier this week. The unauthorised interview has predictably gone down like a lead balloon and United are now prepared to act.
Firstly, the Red Devils released a brief statement earlier on Friday that spoke of the “appropriate steps” they’ll take in response to their talisman’s outburst.
“We will not be making further comment until this process reaches its conclusion.”
Man Utd to sue Ronaldo
Shedding light on what action the club will take, the Guardian report the legal route is being explored.
They state United have appointed lawyers with the expressed aim of suing Ronaldo for breach of contract.
Furthermore, United have reportedly informed Ronaldo he should not return to the club’s training base at Carrington once his World Cup exploits with Portugal conclude.
ESPN revealed earlier this week Ten Hag had convened a meeting with club officials Joel Glazer, Richard Arnold and John Murtough.
The Dutchman was particularly irate at Ronaldo’s comment stating he had no respect for Ten Hag. As such, Ten Hag reportedly told the selected United officials he never wanted to select Ronaldo again.
The club’s decision-makers have reportedly listened and per the Guardian, Ronaldo has been told not to report back for United duties after Qatar.
The Times’ Charlotte Duncker later tweeted United are taking the first steps towards terminating the striker’s contract.
Fabrizio Romano backed up the Guardian’s reporting, adding it’s “true” United’s plan moving forward does not include Ronaldo. He added further details will come to light regarding the club’s plan of action in the coming days.
Where could Ronaldo go next?
Ronaldo’s current deal was due to expire at season’s end, though it now appears he’s already played his last game for the club.
He currently earns around £500,000-a-week and if he’s proven to have breached his contract, United can rip up his deal without having to pay out the remainder of his contract.
Where Ronaldo will turn to next will become the next big story.
A Sky Sports reporter detailed the only club in Europe who can make a deal work. Alternatively, Ronaldo could have options in both America and Australia.
READ MORE: Cristiano Ronaldo blames Ten Hag for doing what’s ‘not allowed’, though does regret infamous Man Utd action
The article Man Utd put Cristiano Ronaldo in his place with two-pronged punishment, as second stint turns ugly appeared first on Teamtalk.com.