Manchester United and Manchester City both clinched 2-1 wins on their return to Premier League action on Saturday afternoon. Pep Guardiola’s side beat Brighton and Hove Albion after first-half goals from Julian Alvarez and Erling Haaland proved decisive as Ansu Fati pulled a goal back for the Seagulls as Manuel Akanji was sent off late on.
Erik ten Hag’s men won 2-1 at Sheffield United after Diogo Dalot’s stunning second-half goal clinched maximum points after Scott McTominay’s opener was cancelled out by an Oli McBurnine penalty. As the January transfer window approaches, there has been plenty of transfer talk around both Manchester clubs, with the latest news and rumours focusing on possible departures from both sides.
Phillips ‘allowed to leave’ Man City
Man City are set to allow Kalvin Phillips to leave the club in January amid links to Newcastle United and Everton, per a report from the Daily Star. The former Leeds United man has struggled to establish himself in Manchester since his £42m move last summer. He was an unused substitute for City’s 2-1 home win over Brighton.
Speaking about Phillips future, Guardiola said on Friday: “If he decides to do it [leave], then do it. If the agreement is not done, then he stays. He’s behaving incredibly. One of the most generous players I’ve ever seen – honestly, as I don’t want to compliment when players don’t play matches. Others are maybe problems in locker room – it’s completely the opposite.
“Every time he goes to national team with Gareth [Southgate] I’m the happiest man in the world. When he plays it’s a benefit for me. I don’t know what will happen with Kalvin because when the transfer window is open, nobody knows.”
Phillips himself admitted he would need to consider his City future. He said following England’s win over Italy in midweek: “I know that I need to be playing games and competing every weekend. I’m going to have to make a decision on [my future] over the next months.”
Sancho and Ten Hag relationship ‘beyond repair’
Jadon Sancho’s United career appears all but over with the Mirror reporting Ten Hag feels his relationship with the winger is beyond repair. The 24-year-old has been left out of United’s last nine games after a public spat with the Red Devils boss. Ten Hag said Sancho was left out against Arsenal earlier this season due to his performances in training.
Sancho took to social media to dispute those claims and has since been banished from the first-team dressing room until he offers a formal apology to Ten Hag. However, it is now reported Ten Hag is ready to sell the player in January with his former club Borussia Dortmund linked. Juventus and Al-Ettifaq are also credited with an interest although Sancho still has three and-a-half years left on his contract at Old Trafford and United will likely want to recoup a good portion of the £73m fee they paid for him in 2021.