Manchester United are reportedly ready to trigger a one-year extension with an Erik ten Hag favourite amid major interest from two European powerhouses.
The Portuguese right-back’s current deal at Old Trafford expires next summer, having been signed by Jose Mourinho back in 2018 from Porto for £19million.
After struggling to earn a regular starting spot under successive United bosses, Dalot was loaned out to Milan during the 2020-21 campaign and made a big impression at the San Siro.
However, the 23-year-old has since cemented the right-back role as his own ahead of Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Indeed, Dalot has started all 12 of United’s Premier League games this season.
And it would appear the Red Devils are determined to keep the player, as Milan and Barcelona both continue to show interest.
The Sun reports that United will extend the player’s stay until at least the end of the 2023/24 campaign.
Carlos Goncalves, who has been Dalot’s agent from the age of 15, is said to be in constant dialogue over his client’s future.
The Portugal international is hopeful of being in Portugal’s World Cup squad for Qatar. Indeed, he’s already been named in his country’s 55-man preliminary World Cup squad.
He said in a recent interview: “Personally, I’m not one to make long-term plans.
“I live season by season, month by month and just want to help the team as much I can.
“Right now, my ambitions are to be at the World Cup to help my national team, and in the end of the season to give trophies to [United] fans because they deserve it.”
Ten Hag talks up Dalot development
Dalot scored his first Old Trafford goal against FC Sheriff in the Europa League last week.
Meanwhile, only Bruno Fernandes (29) has created more goalscoring chances for United in the league this season.
After United’s 1-0 win over West Ham on Sunday, Ten Hag talked up the player’s development.
The Dutchman said: “His defending positions are growing from game to game. His timing, also his duels.
“In possession, I think he’s really good and he has the breath to go up and down [the wing]. His development is really good.”
United are back in action on Thursday evening when they face Real Sociedad in the Europa League.
However, they will be without Antony, Jadon Sancho and Anthony Martial for the game in Spain.
Sancho is ill while Martial, who has not featured since October 9, and Antony are still recovering from injury.
United will finish top of Group E if they win by two goals or more in Spain.
READ MORE: Toni Kroos tears into Casemiro sale as Real Madrid star reveals true reasons behind Man Utd transfer
The article Man Utd to scupper two European heavyweights by triggering one-year contract extension for Ten Hag favourite appeared first on Teamtalk.com.