Fabrizio Romano has suggested that Cristiano Ronaldo knew that the situation at Man Utd was “too tense” so the “only way was to separate”.
Ronaldo’s second spell at Manchester United came to an end on Tuesday evening. The player and club announced that they have mutually agreed to terminate his contract which was due to expire next year.
The forward was keen to leave the club in the summer but United were against him leaving at the time.
This has proven to be a puzzling decision as Ronaldo was never likely to feature prominently under Erik ten hag.
To force through his exit, Ronaldo took matters into his own hands earlier this month as he hit out at Ten Hag and the Glazer family.
United waited for the full interview to air before they decided what action to take and they really had no other choice than to part ways with the 37-year-old.
This is a clean break with no compensation involved, so United will save around £16m in wages that would have been owed to Ronaldo.
The forward meanwhile is now a free agent ahead of the January transfer window. Romano has confirmed that Ronaldo and Man Utd “wanted a clear resolution”.
“It’s official, Manchester United’s statement last night confirms that they have terminated Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with immediate effect,” Romano wrote for Caught Offside.
“Talks were very normal between Manchester United and Cristiano Ronaldo. He knew the situation was too tense, and the club knew the only way was to separate.
“Things were already difficult in the summer, but his recent comments were key to the separation.
“Man Utd were particularly unhappy with the player’s comments on Ten Hag in the interview with Piers Morgan, this is something they really didn’t accept.
“Ronaldo will not have any compensation, as both sides wanted a clear resolution. Where will he end up, we will see!
“I think nothing will change the relationship between Ronaldo and Man Utd fans, it will stay forever because the history will always be there.
“But joining Man United in that moment of his career was probably a mistake purely from a sporting point of view.”
Ronaldo’s exit has replenished United’s wage bill and Ten Hag may now be able to sign a replacement in January.
Romano is of the view that Lille’s Jonathan David would be a “smart” signing. He has nine goals and three assists in 15 Ligue 1 games this season.
The transfer guru is also reporting that David is “available for €50m”.
“In terms of signing a replacement, no decisions have been made yet, but the World Cup could help United to find the right player or to see a new domino of strikers that could bring new opportunities,” Romano added.
“Personally, I always mention Jonathan David as a smart solution for United or other clubs, I already said it a few times; young, talented, available for €50m. But let’s see what United decide to do.”
READ MORE: Transfer gossip… Ronaldo to Newcastle as French striker targeted as Man Utd replacement
The article Man Utd told to sign €50m star as a ‘smart solution’ after Ronaldo made situation ‘too tense’ appeared first on Football365.com.