Manchester United’s search for a new number nine could lead them to make a move for Espanyol forward Raul De Tomas, according to a report.
Erik ten Hag has been on the lookout for a new attacking option all summer. And the decision to remove themselves from the running to sign former Stoke forward Marko Arnautovic has led them to De Tomas.
Manchester United lodged a bid of around £7.6m for the 33-year-old. Bologna rebuffed the offer and United were pondering an improved £8.4m offer. But United decided to pull the plug on the whole deal, according to The Athletic.
Bologna are said to have priced Arnautovic out of a move. While there was also a backlash from fans over two alleged incidents of racism.
Alvaro Morata and Mauro Icardi have since been liked with a move to Old Trafford.
Morata first emerged on United’s radar on Tuesday, with ESPN claiming he had been offered to them.
But Atletico Madrid are understood to be eager to hang on to the Spaniard.
The situation with Icardi is different though with PSG believed to be ready to sell the Argentina forward. American outlet TyC Sports reports that the Red Devils are chasing Icardi.
United offered strikers
The 29-year-old, who joined PSG from Inter Milan for £45m in the summer of 2020, is available.
But, according to Fabrizio Romano in his column for CaughtOffside, United are now being offered the chance to sign 27-year-old De Tomas.
The Spanish forward, who scored 17 LaLiga goals last season, is available. And the Madrid-born striker has been offered to the Old Trafford club.
“A number of big-name strikers were offered to Manchester United following the collapse of negotiations for Arnautovic,” Romano said.
“Atletico Madrid still hope to keep Alvaro Morata, while Mauro Icardi is out of the PSG project and has been offered to many clubs, but there are still no negotiations underway.
“Raul De Tomas is still available on the transfer market and Man United have been advised of the player’s availability.”
£25m offer could land De Tomas
De Tomas has been capped by Spain four times and made sub appearances against Portugal and Czech Republic in June.
But it’s hardly the big-name signing that United fans are demanding after their worst start to the season for 101 years.
De Tomas is believed to have a £60m release clause in his contract, but Cope report a bid of around £21m to £25m could be enough to secure a deal. What is more the same source claim that contact has been made between the clubs and “negotiations are open”.
Espanyol CEO Mao Ye told La Grada last week that he could offer no guarantees over De Tomas’ future.
He said: “There are days left in the market. And there are always possibilities. But we have him in our squad.”
However, the player was not involved in Saturday’s 2-2 LaLiga draw with Celta Vigo.
READ MORE: Merson ridicules Man Utd transfer target; tells Ten Hag Everton player he should’ve signed to help star who ‘can’t run’
The article Manchester United striker hunt leads them to contact with unfashionable centre forward Raul De Tomas appeared first on Teamtalk.com.