Marc Bartra is to have surgery on his wrist after suffering a hand injury after three explosions hit Borussia Dortmund's team bus on Tuesday evening (11 April).
The Spanish defender was the only casualty in the explosions and was immediately rushed to hospital. His injuries were due to shattering glass from the explosions.
Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke confirmed earlier this evening that Bartra did not suffer any "life threatening injuries" but did say that he was in a state of shock after the incident, which took place in Höchsten, approximately six miles away from Dortmund's Westfalenstadion.
"He was given emergency care and taken to the hospital," BVB boss Hans-Joachim Watzke told ZDF, according to the club's official website. "We must now try to process the shock. We have to play again tomorrow. This will be a great challenge."
Spanish outlet Marca initially reported that the 26-year-old had been discharged from hospital but it has now been revealed that he must go under the knife after suffering a broken bone in his wrist as a result of the explosion. Bartra will definitely not feature in his side's Champions League quarter-final clash against Monaco, which has since been postponed for a day. The match will now take place on Wednesday 12 April at 5:45pm.
Police are still at the scene of the explosion and are currently investigating the cause of the incident. There is nothing to suggest that the unfortunate episode was the work of terrorists or ultras at this stage, but local authorities have not ruled anything out.
A statement from local police read: "In the run-up to the Champions League match of BVB against AS Monaco, there was an explosion near the BVB team team bus shortly after 7pm.
"The location of the event is Wittbräuckerstraße/Schirrmannweg in Dortmund-Höchsten. According to current knowledge the windows of the bus (whole or partial) were shattered and one person was injured. It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded."
Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Burki, who was sitting next to Bartra on the bus, revealed what happened when the explosions occurred.
"We left the hotel at 7:15 pm and went down the street. The bus turned to the main street, when there was a giant explosion," he told Blick. "I was sitting in the back row next to Marc Bartra, who was hit by fragments.
"After the bang, we all ducked in the bus and who could, put on the ground. We did not know if more happened. The police were quick on the spot .... We're all shocked - nobody thought of a football match in the minute."
You may be interested in: