Marco van Ginkel's agent believes that his client may still have a future at Chelsea. The Dutch midfielder left Stamford Bridge three months ago in order to embark upon a second loan stint with PSV Eindhoven, where he has earned widespread plaudits for scoring seven goals in 11 Eredivisie outings under Phillip Cocu – a run that includes a brace in Sunday's (9 April) 5-0 drubbing of Willem II.
With Van Ginkel having won a domestic title with PSV in 2015-16, his planned summer reunion with the club was delayed by the effects of a persistent knee injury. The 24-year-old's eventual return to Philips Stadion was seen my many as a potential precursor to a full-time arrangement following comments made by technical director Marcel Brands, although Chelsea later confused matters somewhat by choosing to extend his contract until 2019.
Van Ginkel's situation has become subject to public discussion once more after Dick Advocaat praised the player and claimed that signing him would be a "no brainer" providing the terms are of the deal are acceptable to Fenerbahce.
However, it remains to be seen what plans Antonio Conte has for the six-cap Netherlands international and representative Karel Jansen insists that talks between the two camps will not take place until the end of the current campaign.
"It is not clear what will happen, it is still early," he told the Evening Standard. "The current season is still running so nothing has been decided. Discussions over whether he is part of Chelsea's plans are still to be had. We must wait for the end of the season and after that we will consult with them."
Reports from Eindhoven Dagblad have suggested that PSV are keen to agree a third loan deal for Van Ginkel, although Jansen claims that they are yet to make a decision. As far as he is aware and with no further discussions planned until the summer, that aforementioned contract extension suggests that his days at Chelsea might not be numbered after all.
"Chelsea renewed his contract before he went away on loan so in our opinion there is still a future at the club," he added. "We don't know if PSV want to sign him permanently. PSV have not made a decision yet about next season at this stage."
Van Ginkel's joy at joining Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in an £8.4m ($10.4m) deal from Vitesse Arnhem in July 2013 proved to be cruelly shortlived as he went on to tear his anterior cruciate ligament just 10 minutes into his full debut at Swindon Town. He later failed to impress during spells with AC Milan and Stoke City.
Speaking to Goal last month, the box-to-box midfielder warned that he could leave his parent club on a permanent transfer if he is unable to force his way into Conte's plans.
"Of course it's nice to play matches in the Netherlands, it's great," he said. "It's nearby to your family and friends, but eventually you want to make the next step. If that's not at Chelsea, then I might look for something else."
You may be interested in:
- Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham discusses future amid £15m Leicester links
- Barcelona star Jordi Alba 'asks Cesc Fabregas about Chelsea life' as Spaniard weighs up summer exit
- Diego Costa 'happy' at Chelsea but future questions remain amid London hint
- Marco van Ginkel may have Chelsea future amid PSV Eindhoven uncertainty