Marine go top after dominant home win

·2-min read
Swindon Supermarine v Hendon FC in Southern League Premier South Photo: Steve Brennan
Swindon Supermarine v Hendon FC in Southern League Premier South Photo: Steve Brennan

SWINDON Supermarine moved to the top of the Southern League Premier South table following their second win from two games at the weekend.

Lee Spalding's men cruised to a 4-1 victory over Hendon on Saturday thanks to a brace from Harry Williams and James Harding.

The only blemish on Marine's copy was a late goal conceded, but their free-scoring start - seven goals scored and one allowed - has pushed the Wiltshire club to first ahead of Truro City, who have an identical record.

Marine's afternoon began strongly with some early pressure before the hosts' opening goal arrived in the 13th minute. Harding ran along the byline before cutting a pass back for Williams to tap home and open his account for the season.

After Arthur Lontton has flicked the bar and Hendon had wasted another glorious chance, Marine recovered nicely to double their advantage. James Harding was set through via a Zack Kotwica pass, and the in-form striker guided the ball past Hendon goalkeeper, Marcin, Brzozowski.

Moments after Tyrone Duffus has tidied up a nervous moment for Marine in defence, he notched a fine assist for the hosts' third goal. Duffus ran down the right wing past several Hendon defenders before picking out Williams to finish astutely.

Hendon pulled a goal back with 25 minutes to play after Rohdell Gordun cut in from the wing and smashed a powerful low shot at goal. Connor Johns attempted to collect but spilled the ball at the feet of Joe While who poked into the net.

Marine would have the last laugh though after Harding was brought down in the area by Brzozowski. The striker picked himself up and dispatched the spot-kick to cap off a fine afternoon for Spalding's men.

Meanwhile, in Southern League Division One Central, Highworth Town secured their first win of the season courtesy of a 1-0 success at home to Hadley.

Ollie Rejek scored the only goal in the second half as the Worthians responded to a disappointing FA Cup exit the week before.

In the Hellenic League Premier Division, Royal Wootton Bassett Town capped off a positive week for the club with a 1-1 draw away at Chipping Sodbury Town on Saturday.

Following their FA Cup replay victory over Windsor, Bassett saw Macauley Dodson sent off for two yellow cards, but only after Jack Hobson-McVeigh had equalised via a deflected free-kick for Sam Collier's men.