Mason Greenwood: Brutal Ronaldo comments saw star get talking to as Man Utd reject offers and agent makes plea
Manchester United are reported to have rejected a number of approaches for Mason Greenwood as the club continues its internal investigation into his conduct – but the matter may soon be about to reach a head.
The 21-year-old England international faces an uncertain future despite charges against him of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm being dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Indeed, while Greenwood will not tried by a criminal court, his prospects of ever playing for United again remain in serious doubt.
As it stands, he has been asked to stay away from the club while discussions are held over his future.
A potential return to the United ranks would be steeped in controversy, nonetheless. His comeback has reportedly split senior players at Old Trafford, who have what is described by The Times as ‘stark concerns’. Female staff members share a similar viewpoint, while some of the club’s commercial partners are also keeping a close watch on the situation.
In addition, Manchester United’s Women’s team, who are currently top of the WSL on goal difference from Man City, are also said to be ‘deeply uncomfortable’ over the prospect of Greenwood’s return.
Despite that, United remain undecided. He remains on full pay pending a future decision and with his deal not due to expire until summer 2025.
As part of the rehabilitation process, United could reportedly ask Greenwood to explain himself via a TV interview. And per The Athletic, Greenwood may also have undergo therapy as part of a phased return to first-team football.
To smooth over his chances, Greenwood has reportedly met with some of his teammates to discuss a potential return.
READ MORE: Mason Greenwood pressure heaped on Man Utd as brutal Gareth Southgate stance on England call-up emerges
Man Utd snub transfer offers for Mason Greenwood
However, in a fresh article on Monday, The Athletic claims Greenwood’s camp, as well as some senior figures at United, are now pushing for a decision, one way or the other, to be made.
Their report into Greenwood reveals some ‘new material’ has emerged and with the CPS’ decision to drop the case against him.
Speaking to Laurie Whitwell, one of Greenwood’s representatives insists there is “no real substance” to the allegations, and they are “a mix of old news, speculation, half-truths and completely untrue claims”.
The representative argues that Greenwood must now be allowed to resume his career.
They added: “Mason is 21. He has been cleared and should be allowed the opportunity to rebuild and move forward with his young life.”
Should United decide to offload the player, they will unlikely be short of offers.
It has previously been reported that United have fielded enquiries from would-be suitors over the availability of Greenwood. These have come from clubs both in Turkey and the Chinese Super League.
Now that interest has indeed been confirmed, with United, as it stands, rejecting those bids.
That will raise the possibility of Greenwood potentially turning out for the club again in the future.
And another source close to the player told The Athletic that the entire experience has fundamentally changed Greenwood.
Mason Greenwood claims over Cristiano Ronaldo emerge
They added the 21-year-old would also “run through a brick wall” to resume his career for United again.
Amid the moral dilemma of what his return would mean, more allegations have emerged over his character.
And The Athletic reports that Greenwood, during his younger days used to regularly call out some of his teammates. Indeed, he allegedly caused issues by ‘brutally’ telling them to their face how bad they were if they failed to impress him.
A source said: “He knew he was a good player and was cutting. And he wasn’t shy about telling someone they were ****. When you hear that you’d think, ‘Can’t be talking like that’.”
The matter came to a head when he reportedly reacted to speculation that Cristiano Ronaldo was returning to Old Trafford.
Discussing his potential comeback, it’s alleged Greenwood said Ronaldo’s career was ‘dead’, suggesting the Portuguese veteran’s career was in decline.
However, those comments did not seemingly go down well with staff. And they were reportedly forced to intervene and ‘correct him’ to be more respectful and mature.
Another allegations suggests, with tensions boiling over in training, Greenwood once threatened to quit United and sign for Manchester City.
READ MORE: Mason Greenwood splits Man Utd teammates over plan to return as secret meeting opens chance of move abroad
The article Mason Greenwood: Brutal Ronaldo comments saw star get talking to as Man Utd reject offers and agent makes plea appeared first on Teamtalk.com.