Michigan State's Miles Bridges returning for 'unfinished business'

The 6-7 freshman forward announced Thursday he will remain in school for at least another year.

Miles Bridges made Michigan State basketball fans pretty happy on Thursday.

The 6-7 freshman forward announced Thursday he will remain in school for at least another year.

"I got some unfinished business here. I'm just saying I wanna stay,"he said Thursday evening. "It's just an unreal experience.

"I want to win a national championship, my teammates are a big part of it. I love my teammates."

He teased the announcement earlier in the day.


Bridges hadcanceled meetings with agents, despite his projection as a lottery pick in June's NBA Draft. He will have the maxium insurance policy of$10 million next season in case he gets hurt.

Bridges averaged16.9 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game last season as the Spartans went 20-15 and lost to Kansas in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Spartans should be able to bounce back from a disappointing seventh-place finish in the Big Ten.

With Bridges back, Michigan State could again be a contender for the Big Ten title. Bridges keeps intact a quartet that also includes Cassius Winston, Nick Ward and Joshua Langford.

The Spartans also have McDonald's All-American Jaren Jackson, a 6-10 power forward, coming in next season. Michigan State also has a pair of five-star recruits (Brian Bowen and Brandon McCoy) and four-star point guard Mark Smith to round out the 2017 class.

Bridges' return gives Spartans fans some serious optimism for next season.

MORE: North Carolina's Justin Jackson declares for NBA Draft

"I didn't recruit him to come back. My job is to help him do what's right," Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said. "What I'm proudest of, he made a decision for himself. He had enough courage.

"He never acted like he wanted to leave."

What to read next

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes