Mo Farah ruled out of London Marathon with injury

Mo Farah ruled out of London Marathon with injury - PA
Mo Farah ruled out of London Marathon with injury - PA

Mo Farah has been forced out of Sunday’s London Marathon after suffering a hip injury. The four-time Olympic gold medallist, 39, had not competed in a full marathon since 2019. In a statement, he confirmed he had suffered a problem to his right hip in training and will not be fit.

Farah, a six-time world champion, had been training well in recent months and won The Big Half in London earlier this month.

He said: “I’ve been training really hard over the past few months and I’d got myself back into good shape and was feeling pretty optimistic about being able to put in a good performance at the TCS London Marathon.

“However, over the past 10 days I’ve been feeling pain and tightness in my right hip. I’ve had extensive physio and treatment and done everything I can to be on the start line but it hasn’t improved enough to compete on Sunday.”

Farah's victory in The Big Half earlier this month silenced speculation he was about to retire after he suffered a shock loss to club runner Ellis Cross at the Vitality 10k in London in May. He said in his statement that he intends to race in 2023 when it switches back to its traditional date in April.

Farah added: “It’s really disappointing to have to withdraw after a good last few months and after my win at The Big Half but also because I love racing in front of my home crowd in London who always give all of us athletes such amazing support.

“I wish everyone taking part on Sunday a good run and I hope to be back out there with you in April 2023.”
Race director Hugh Brasher added: “We are so sorry that Sir Mo is not fit to run on Sunday. We wish him a very speedy recovery and hope to see him running the 2023 TCS London Marathon in April next year.”