The Morning After: The competition’s worst defence stands firm & Chris Satae’s big impact

·3-min read
Liam Sutcliffe, Chris Satae, Hull FC. SWPix Credit: Alamy
Liam Sutcliffe, Chris Satae, Hull FC. SWPix Credit: Alamy

The Morning After looks at three talking points from the latest Super League action between Hull FC and Wigan.

The competition’s worst defence stands firm 

Scroll to continue with content

Jake Clifford’s first half effort in attack was enough to help his side to a 14-10 victory over Wigan at the MKM Stadium in Super League.

The half-back assisted the first try for Darnell McIntosh from the boot, and scored himself for a 12-0 lead, before adding two from a penalty for a 14-0 scoreline in the first half.

However, a special mention must go towards the side’s defensive effort. Tony Smith’s squad hold the worst defensive record so far this year, but they managed to hold the Warriors to just two tries.

It’s even more impressive with Wigan boasting the second best attack in the competition.  

Jake Trueman also made his Hull debut from the bench, and came up with the clutch play in the dying stages of the game which saw him sent to the sin-bin. However, his professional foul stopped Joe Shorrocks from a quick play the ball which could have been crucial. 

It’s back-to-back wins now for Hull, who are now on level points with Huddersfield on the Super League table with eight points.

Chris Satae’s big impact & future

Chris Satae’s future is currently up in the air, and he made a big impact in the middle of the field for Hull at home.

In the opening minutes of the second half, the 30-year-old made a huge 30 metre carry, including 20 post-contact.

The forward is off-contract at the end of 2023, while head coach Tony Smith has insisted that he is keen to retain the ex-Combined Nations All Stars representative.

However, Catalan Media has reported that the Tonga-born forward has been rumoured with a move to France. 

Iain Thornley returns with tries

Iain Thornley made his first Super League appearance since Round 14 of the 2022 season, scoring a brace on his return to first team action for the first time in 11 months. 

The 31-year-old outside-back underwent a nine month period of recovery after suffering a knee injury against Castleford. 

He made his professional return with Barrow on loan against Halifax earlier in March, and also impressed for Wigan’s reserves side, earning his call-up against Hull and scoring a try either side of half-time. 

His inclusion was in replacement of Liam Marshall, with Abbas Miski on the other wing. 

“Great to see him back,” assistant coach Sean O’Loughlin told Mark Wilson on Sky Sports during the fixture.

“He’s worked very hard behind the scenes and he got his chance tonight.” 

Meanwhile, Ryan Hampshire was named at 18th man by head coach Matt Peet.

READ NEXT: “We lacked execution with the ball” – Matt Peet dissects Wigan’s defeat to Hull

FOLLOW: Keep up with all the latest on the Love Rugby League mobile app 

The article The Morning After: The competition’s worst defence stands firm & Chris Satae’s big impact appeared first on