Newcastle maverick told he’s ‘far too good to be a bystander’ and should consider January exit
A top Newcastle star, deemed far too good to start games on the bench, has been urged to consider leaving the club if an opportunity to do so arises.
Eddie Howe’s men are enjoying a tremendous season so far, currently sitting third in the Premier League while they also have a Carabao Cup semi-final second leg to look forward to on Wednesday evening, leading Southampton 1-0 from the reverse fixture.
However, not everyone is happy at St James’ Park and the arrival of Anthony Gordon is likely to make things even worse for Allan Saint-Maximin.
Gordon has completed a £40m switch to Tyneside from Everton in a deal that could eventually reach £45m.
And while that gives Howe another strong attacking option to utilise, it also leaves Saint-Maximin wondering what is happening to his Newcastle career.
The 25-year-old’s contract at St James’ runs until 2026 after signing from Nice in 2019.
However, according to a recent Daily Mail report, the Magpies will consider offers for his services now the deal for Gordon is finalised.
And asked if Saint-Maximin should be considering a Newcastle exit, former West Ham striker Frank McAvennie told Football Insider: “If he is not going to get a game.
“He is far too good to be a bystander that is for sure.
“All of a sudden the players around him have just taken over and they have all bought into it. It is just going to get better for Newcastle.
“I like that they have not just spent fortunes, they have spent wisely. They have got a good manager in Eddie Howe and I would love to see them win the League Cup.”
Saint-Maximin relegated to watching brief
Saint-Maximin has made 16 appearances for Newcastle so far this season but has scored just once. He also has three assists to his name.
However, the talented winger has not started a Premier League game for Howe’s side since August. To that end, he has since fallen down the pecking order.
The addition of Gordon will only make things worse for a player who’s been linked with Tottenham in the past. However, Italian giants AC Milan are now the chief suitors for his signature.
Losing a player of Saint-Maximin’s quality would have been a real blow to Newcastle this time last year. However, Howe is building such a strong squad that it could be argued cashing in on a bit-part player is now the more sensible option.
READ MORE: Chelsea greenlight attacker’s sale for huge loss, with Aston Villa, Newcastle among four ready to pounce
The article Newcastle maverick told he’s ‘far too good to be a bystander’ and should consider January exit appeared first on Teamtalk.com.