Newcastle plot audacious move for Liverpool, Barcelona target as journalist names Serie A star ‘expendable’
Newcastle United are reportedly back on the hunt to sign Marcelo Brozovic from Inter Milan, despite the midfielder also being a target for Liverpool and Barcelona.
Brozovic has been heavily linked with Tottenham in the past 12 months. This was largely down to Antonio Conte being Tottenham’s head coach and Fabio Paratici’s role as their director of football, with both of them possessing extensive knowledge of the Italian top flight.
But Conte left Spurs by mutual consent in March, while Paratici has resigned from his position after failing to overturn a ban from FIFA. As a result of those two departures, Spurs are no longer pursuing Brozovic.
They may soon have to watch the 30-year-old shine for one of their English rivals. On March 28, FCInterNews revealed how Liverpool are planning to make a move for Brozovic this summer.
And Newcastle have also been named as potential suitors for him. As per a recent report from Calciomercatoweb, Newcastle are ‘ready’ to meet Inter’s £31million asking price for Brozovic.
Italian journalist Fabrizio Biasin has backed up reports that Newcastle are trying to land Brozovic. He explained how the Croatia international is now ‘expendable’ at Inter due to Simone Inzaghi’s other options in midfield and the fact the club are likely to sign another player in the position later this year.
READ MORE: Emery steers Aston Villa ahead of Newcastle, West Ham in race for rebellious midfielder
Biasin did not name as Liverpool as potentially being a transfer rival of Newcastle’s, though he did state that the Magpies must fight off Barcelona for Brozovic.
“Inter want a physical midfielder, many say [Franck] Kessie but Kessie isn’t necessarily the [right] profile,” the reporter said (via Sport Witness). “A player with similar characteristics is needed to replace [Roberto] Gagliardini who will be released.
Inter star ‘expendable’ amid Newcastle rumours
“Given that [Hakan] Calhanoglu can be a playmaker and [Kristjan] Asllani is there, Brozovic can be expendable. But we also have to deal with a player who rejected important offers last year to stay, refusing offers from Newcastle, Tottenham and Barcelona. Brozovic is fine at Inter. Newcastle and Barcelona are already back on the charge.”
Brozovic’s Inter contract runs until June 2026. However, he is facing a big decision this summer.
His place in the Inter starting eleven has been under threat this season and it sounds like that trend is going to continue. The Zagreb-born ace could decide to remain at Inter and fight for his starting spot.
Alternatively, he may want to take part in a new challenge in a different league. And Newcastle could offer him the chance to become part of their project at St James’ Park.
Newcastle have big pull power thanks to their wealthy owners and the fact they are likely to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
However, major clubs such as Liverpool and Barca can never be ruled out, so Newcastle must act fast if they truly want to snare Brozovic.
Meanwhile, transfer insider Graeme Bailey has told TEAMtalk that Newcastle are rivalling Manchester United for the signing of a deadly striker.
The article Newcastle plot audacious move for Liverpool, Barcelona target as journalist names Serie A star ‘expendable’ appeared first on Teamtalk.com.