Newcastle reportedly ‘retain an interest’ in Alexander Isak having failed with a bid for him last month, with the Real Sociedad star among a trio of striker targets for the Magpies.
Isak has been the subject of speculation over a move to the Premier League for over a year having been heavily linked with a move to Arsenal last summer.
The Gunners were reportedly back in for the Sweden international in January but their signing of Gabriel Jesus ended their pursuit.
Newcastle have since emerged as the top Premier League suitors for the 22-year-old with a report last month claiming the club hierarchy has ‘unanimously agreed’ to launch a club-record bid.
It’s thought they did offer around £40m at the time which was rejected by the La Liga side, who reportedly wanted a fee closer to £50m.
It was claimed Toon bosses wanted a structured deal which would see them pay a big chunk of the proposed fee for Isak next summer, to give them more flexibility in the current window, which may also have put Sociedad off.
According to Chronicle, Newcastle ‘retain an interest’ in Isak but have two further strikers on their shortlist this summer.
Atalanta striker Luis Muriel is of interest but the Colombia striker is said to be waiting for an approach for Juventus, and they are also monitoring Benfica’s Goncalo Ramos.
As well as a striker, Newcastle are also in the market for a playmaker, but have got nowhere in their pursuit of James Maddison, who is said to prefer a move to Spurs or Arsenal, or in their bid to land Anthony Gordon from Everton, with Frank Lamapard desperate to keep hold of the academy graduate.
And a surprise report on Wednesday claimed they’re now in ‘pole position’ to land Tottenham wantaway Tanguy Ndombele.
Tottenham want rid of the Frenchman, who ‘wants to give himself every chance’ of making France’s World Cup squad for Qatar 2022.
The Magpies are ‘the hottest’ on Ndombele but have ‘not sent an offer, for the moment’. However, ‘the file is very active behind the scenes’.
A possible stumbling block could be the price with Tottenham demanding £42m for the midfielder – who is currently training away from the first team squad along with three teammates – as they want to recoup most of the £54m fee they paid for him.
The article Newcastle ‘retain interest’ in Alexander Isak as one of three striker targets appeared first on Football365.com.