NFL Draft 2017: Browns take Caleb Brantley in sixth round, but could release him

According to court records, the case against the defensive tackle was dismissed for “insufficient evidence to sustain a conviction."

Caleb Brantley was hoping to go in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

The former Gators defensive tackle went in the sixth round instead. The Browns took a chance on Brantley with the first pick of the sixth round on Saturday. That doesn't mean he has a guaranteed spot in training camp.

Brantley saw his stock plummet since he was charged with misdemeanor assault after allegedly knocking a woman unconscious earlier this month. The incident took place on April 13 and Brantley was charged eight days later.

Browns general manager Sashi Brown said Saturday the team is still investigating Brantley's assault charge and they could release him pending the results of that investigation.

"It may be something we can't get comfortable with," Brown told reporters.

The 6-3, 307-pound defender is accused of reacting to a 5-4, 110-pound woman who repeatedly hit Brantley after he allegedly made "crude comments" to the 20-year-old female. He reacted to her aggression by punching her in the face, knocking her unconscious and jarring a tooth loose, according to a Gainesville, Fla., police report.

Attorneys for Brantley and the alleged victim were working on a settlement this week.

Brantley was projected as a second-round pick after leaving Florida with a year of eligibility remaining.

MORE: NFL Draft prospect Caleb Brantley charged with battery in alleged fight with woman

He's a powerful and stout D-lineman who has the quickness off the snap to be disruptive inside in Gregg Williams' defensive scheme if he does indeed remain with the team.


By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes