NFL Draft 2017: Gareon Conley releases statement regarding rape allegations

Conley has not been arrested nor have any charges been filed against him.

Former Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley has released a statement declaring his innocence after rape allegations surfaced against him days before the NFL Draft.

Reports first surfaced Monday night that Conley had been accused of rape in connection with an incident that allegedly occurred at a Cleveland hotel on April 9. Conley has not been arrested, nor have any charges been filed, and he and his agents have spent the past day trying to put NFL general managers' minds at ease leading up to Thursday's first round of the NFL Draft.

"The allegations against me concerning the night of April 8/9 that have recently been reported in multiple media outlets are completely false," Conley said in a statement sent to media outlets (via ESPN). "I did not commit a crime and have not been charged with a crime.

"I pride myself on doing the right things on and off the field. The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fir my character at all. I realize I put myself in the situation and could have used better judgment. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in the position to have the honor of being an NFL Draft pick, and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL Draft."

Conley was regarded as a sure-fire first-round pick before the allegations, and could have even jumped into the top 10. Considering the allegations, Conley will not be attending the NFL Draft as planned Thursday night.

"I was excited about participating in Thursday's draft, but I have decided it would be selfish for me to stay and be a distraction to the NFL, the other players, and their families who have forked just as hard as me to enjoy the experience so I will not be in attendance," he said in the statement.

MORE: NFL Draft 2017: Top CB prospect Gareon Conley accused of rape, report says

Despite the current uncertainty surrounding his name and draft status, Conley is positive everything will be cleared up soon.

"I am completely confident that as the facts actually come out my name will be cleared."

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes