No serious takers for Manchester United man, as Sergino Dest slips the net and heads to Serie A

·2-min read
Sergino Dest Credit: PA Images
Sergino Dest Credit: PA Images

Manchester United defensive target Sergino Dest is set to sign for AC Milan on loan with an option to make the deal permanent.

Barcelona right-back Dest was understood to be a target for Erik ten Hag at Old Trafford. The 21-year-old USMNT star has been told he is free to leave the Camp Nou by Xavi and there were a number of suitors.

Sport reported that Dest was mulling over a number of options, including a loan proposal from fellow LaLiga club Villarreal. Dest was said to be open to the idea and talks took place. But the paper suggested Dest was  favouring a move to Old Trafford.

Fabrizio Romano even said the decision was down to Dest, with Barca hoping to free up his salary and a squad place. Sport claimed Dest had “opted” for United.

However, a deal for one of Ten Hag’s former players at Ajax has not materialised. Instead AC Milan made their push on Wednesday and Romano claims the deal is done.

Milan will complete a season-long loan deal with a buying option set at €20m. Dest will pen a deal until 2027, a one-year loan, plus a potential four-year contract.

The Dutch-born defender is expected to fly to Milan on Thursday to complete the paperwork and pass a medical.

Whether or not Ten Hag made a real push to be reunited with Dest remains unclear. The Dutch boss was said to be looking into a deal for Dest. But the future of Aaron Wan-Bissaka was always a key component of any potential deal.

Dest deal smothered by Wan-Bissaka 

United would have had to move Wan-Bissaka out before signing Dest. And the Manchester Evening News suggest there were “a lack of takers” for the former Crystal Palace man.

His old club and West Ham were believed to be interested. But neither were forthcoming with a deal which suited United.

And Ten Hag dismissed the prospect of Wan-Bissaka leaving at his press conference earlier on Wednesday.

When asked if United’s business would be concluded after Antony and keeper Martin Dubravka, Ten Hag replied: “I think so, it will be for this window the end but when there is a great opportunity we always have to be alert at this top club.

“Of course, Aaron will stay in, so this squad, we will go from September to minimum January but we will play with this squad this season.”

Ten Hag had always maintained privately that he wanted another option to Diogo Dalot at right-back. Whether or not he was intent on swapping Wan-Bissaka for Dest, only the Dutchman knows. But it seems the option was taken away when no exit deal could be agreed for 24-year-old Wan-Bissaka.

The article No serious takers for Manchester United man, as Sergino Dest slips the net and heads to Serie A appeared first on Teamtalk.com.