Opening ceremony director dismissed after past comments on Holocaust, Tokyo 2020 says

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
The Olympic Rings are photographed ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

TOKYO (Reuters) - The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has been dismissed, organisers said on Thursday, following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.

Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto told a briefing that Kentaro Kobayashi had been dismissed because of past comments that made fun of a tragedy.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting