‘You take ownership of what happened’ – Neville slams Man Utd star for six months of silence

Former Man Utd defender Gary Neville Credit: Alamy
Former Man Utd defender Gary Neville Credit: Alamy

Gary Neville says it’s becoming frustrating that Man Utd star Cristiano Ronaldo avoids speaking to the media and supporters.

The Portugal international spent the majority of the summer transfer window looking for a way out of Old Trafford after Man Utd failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Unfortunately for Ronaldo, there was a lack of interest in his services with an unnamed Saudi Arabian club the only outfit to show concrete interest.

Erik ten Hag has always maintained that Ronaldo is in his plans this season despite the striker only starting four of their 13 Premier League matches this term.

His lack of starts came to a head recently when the 37-year-old refused to come off the bench in a 2-0 victory over Tottenham last month.

Ronaldo was subsequently fined and made to train on his own before he apologised to Ten Hag and rejoined first-team training the following week.

Despite his disciplinary issues, Ronaldo was made captain when Man Utd faced Aston Villa at the weekend in a 3-1 defeat.

And Neville has criticised Ronaldo for failing to be interviewed after the match at Villa Park with the Man Utd striker shirking responsibility.

Neville said on The Overlap: “He [Ronaldo] went out as the captain of Manchester United and the team lost. Your job is to speak at the end of the match. I’ve been there in that position.

“If you win, the player who scored the goal or the star man goes out and speaks. If you lose, it’s your goalkeeper, it’s your centre-back or it’s your captain.

“Why did we not hear from him? He should have been there to say, ‘this is what we did wrong today, we’re going to work hard for next week and we’re going to be ready for the next game’.”

Man Utd play Aston Villa again on Thursday in the Carabao Cup before a Premier League match against Fulham in their final game before the World Cup.

They could be Ronaldo’s final two matches for the Red Devils with rumours already building that he could leave in the January transfer window.

And Neville is annoyed that Ronaldo hasn’t come out and clarified certain rumours and comments about his future at Man Utd with fans only hearing from him when he posts the occasional social media caption.

“I think he should actually speak, no one’s heard him speak for six months, we don’t hear from him,” Neville added.

“I think the reason why I said previously that Manchester United would be better without him and that he would be better without Manchester United was I expect so much of him because I played with him for six years.

“You take ownership of what happened. You don’t leave it to other people to answer your stuff for you.”

READ MORE: Who are we to criticise Qatar? Or Gary Neville. All of us are massive hypocrites…

 

The article ‘You take ownership of what happened’ – Neville slams Man Utd star for six months of silence appeared first on Football365.com.