Padres still targeting World Series without suspended Tatis

·2-min read

Fernando Tatis Jr.'s suspension for a drug violation represents "a blow" to the San Diego Padres, but the team are still confident they can make the World Series.

Tatis was banned for 80 games on Friday after testing positive for Clostebol, a performance-enhancing substance.

The star shortstop said he had taken a medicine containing Clostebol to treat ringworm.

It means the Padres will not see Tatis for the rest of this year or for the first 32 games of the 2023 season.

San Diego had been eagerly awaiting the return of the two-time Silver Slugger Award winner following a broken wrist sustained during the MLB lockout.

Manager Bob Melvin had revealed prior to Friday's news that Tatis could have made his season debut as soon as next week.

Now, the team – who occupy the third NL wild-card berth – will have to make do without him, meaning Melvin is relieved they went all out at the trade deadline with a blockbuster move for Juan Soto among a number of signings.

"This is a blow for us. We'll have to move on," Melvin said.

"I'm glad we made the moves we did at the deadline. We feel like we have a really good team still, and sometimes you have to deal with some adversity as a team."

Indeed, Tatis' team-mate Manny Machado sees no reason why the Padres should adjust their aims in light of the suspension.

"He hasn’t been part of the team all year," the third baseman said. "We've gotten to this point so far without him.

"We were waiting for him to get back and hopefully for him to be a spark plug for the team.

"We have the guys to get where we want to be. Obviously, with the trade deadline, what we did there, we reinforced the team and made the team a lot better.

"We still have the same goal, which is to try and make a World Series and bring a championship to San Diego. That's what we're going to try to do."