Pompey make winning JPT debut

PA Sport
Mikkel Andersen made an important save in the shootout

View photo

Mikkel Andersen made an important save in the shootout

Portsmouth edged into the Johnstone's Paint Trophy second round after seeing off south-coast neighbours Bournemouth 4-3 on penalties at Fratton Park.

The tie finished 2-2 after 90 minutes but Brian Howard, Liam Walker, Ashley Harris and Luke Rodgers all converted penalties for Pompey, while Lee Barnard saw his effort saved by Mikkel Andersen and Marc Pugh blazed over to send the Cherries crashing out.

Jake Robinson's 11th-minute wonder goal was enough for Northampton to see off MK Dons 1-0. Robinson hit a stunning volley from almost 40 yards out which to seal a home win for the Cobblers.

Ryan Cresswell's last-gasp header handed Southend a 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon at Roots Hall. Cresswell, who was pushed forward from defence for the closing stages, rose high to head a left-wing cross from Neil Harris into the bottom corner and hand the Shrimpers a deserved win.

Southend, who hit the woodwork through Gavin Tomlin and Ryan Leonard, had to come from behind to get the victory after Frankie Merrifield had put the Dons ahead in the 39th minute.

The 18-year-old midfielder fired a deflected 14-yard shot past Shrimpers goalkeeper Paul Smith although the visitors were unable to hang on to their lead. Southend drew level 14 minutes into the second half when Tomlin scored from the penalty spot after Britt Assombalonga had been brought down by George Francomb.

Dagenham & Redbridge sprung a surprise by dumping League One Stevenage out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the first hurdle courtesy of a fine 3-2 win. First-half goals from Brian Woodall, Josh Scott and Michael Spillane's penalty did the trick for the Daggers as they claimed their first win of the season.

Two quality free-kicks from Ed Upson helped Yeovil to a 3-0 win over West Country rivals Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

A superb 25-yard strike from substitute Scott Neilson sent Crawley through courtesy of a 3-2 home win over League Two leaders Gillingham.

Aldershot moved into the second round after winning 4-3 on penalties at Exeter, with the tie having finished goalless.

View comments (1)