The former Cardiff City boss was thought to be on the verge of becoming Tony Pulis' successor at Selhurst Park, but the messages reportedly sent by him and the Welsh club's former head of recruitment Iain Moody, now director of football at Palace, have scuppered his chances of employment at the south London club, according to the Daily Mail.
Daily Mail back page
The paper claims the "explicit and offensive" messages were highlighted by two letters to the FA after the texts were discovered following a dawn raid on Moody's London home in March this year as part of an investigation into eight controversial Cardiff transfers.
The messages reportedly contain abusive content directed at Asian, Jewish, black and homosexual people, as well as derogatory remarks about women.
Once Palace learned evidence of the text messages - allegedly sent by the pair during their time at Cardiff - had been passed to the FA, the club withdrew their offer of a job to Mackay.
That evidence formed part of a dossier compiled and submitted to the FA by former Cardiff owner Vincent Tan, according to the Daily Mirror. The report claims that the submission outlines alleged misconduct during Mackay’s time at Cardiff, when he was sacked only a few months after starting their maiden Premier League campaign.
Under FA rules, Cardiff are required to report any matter which may constitute 'aggravated misconduct'.
Iain Moody, Malky Mackay (PA Photos)
The FA told the Mirror: "We have no comment to make.”
Crystal Palace announced on Thursday afternoon that Moody has resigned.
WHAT DID THE TEXTS SAY?
The Mail does not specifically attribute each offensive text to either Mackay or Moody, but some of the reported exchanges in question look as follows:
On an unnamed official from another club: "He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted."
On a player's female agent: "I hope she's looking after your needs. I bet you'd love a bounce on her falsies."
On a list of prospective signings for Cardiff: "Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering."
WILL THE FA ACT?
It is currently unclear just what FA regulations Mackay and Moody have fallen foul of, particularly considering the reasoning the FA gave for not pursuing any action against Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore from some sexist emails made public in May. FA chairman Greg Dyke said at the time: "Last week the FA made it clear that Mr Scudamore was not an employee of the Football Association and, as such, we had no position in terms of employment policy or taking disciplinary action. We were of the view that was a matter for the Premier League and we asked them to keep us informed of the actions they were taking. In terms of wider FA disciplinary action, we were advised that the FA does not as a matter of policy consider private communications sent with a legitimate expectation of privacy to amount to professional misconduct. The FA has applied this policy on an ongoing basis and in relation to numerous other cases.”
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
There is no knowing what Mackay and Moody were thinking when reportedly exchanging such messages, which have no place in the game or in society. But why have they come to light?
Following Cardiff’s promotion last summer, Tan was angry at the amount of money spent by Mackay and Moody on transfers, eventually sacking both men. Moody ended up at Palace, and Cardiff – under Ole Gunnar Solksjaer – were ultimately relegated back to the Championship.
A secondary row developed when Cardiff accused Palace, and Moody in particular, of ‘spying’ on them by acquiring their team-sheet before their Premier League match. An FA investigation followed, and Palace were fined £10,000 for their part in the incident. Cardiff will pursue separate legal action against Palace over those claims.
What is strange about this latest turn of events is that, at the end of last season, Cardiff and Mackay appeared to have settled their differences. Mackay dropped his bid for compensation, and said the matter was closed. It appears Tan did not feel the same way. He feels that he was ripped off, is refusing to pay agent fees for any of those deals, and has reportedly named Mackay, Moody, a number of agents and several lawyers in his dossier.
WHERE DO PALACE GO FROM HERE?
Reports have also claimed that former England manager Glenn Hoddle, who had just taken an assistant coach role at London rivals Queens Park Rangers, has also turned down the job after an approach from Palace co-chairman Steve Parish on Wednesday.
There is speculation that Tim Sherwood, who took charge of Tottenham Hotspur for six months last season, had become favourite to replace Pulis but that the deal would not be concluded this week. That would mean Keith Millen, who oversaw the opening 2-1 defeat by Arsenal, would continue in temporary charge of first team affairs. Martin Jol and Steve Clarke are next in the betting after Sherwood.
The language used in these text messages is shocking. There is no place in football for it and no place for those who use it, and the repercussions for Mackay and Moody could be grave, if their legitimacy is established. If Palace believe the contents of that dossier to be serious enough to renege on a deal with Mackay, other clubs might as well. Mackay could struggle to find further employment, at least until the dust has settled on this brouhaha.
As for Tan, he would never have imagined that the initial investigation in Cardiff's transfer dealings would uncover such nasty additional revelations. While Tan's cash helped Cardiff into the Premier League, his ego arguably saw them relegated. A series of bizarre statements have not helped his cause, and it is hard to take anything he says seriously. But if these texts are legitimate then he will have been vindicated in one respect at least.
Vincent Tan and Malky Mackay
- Sports & Recreation
- Premier League
- Cardiff City