Premier League - Paper Round: Rooney would make £60m at Chelsea

Those who thought the Wayne Rooney saga had been put to bed by David Moyes might have to reconsider after reading today's papers.

Premier League - Chelsea confirm Rooney bid, deny offering Mata or Luiz

View photo

Wayne Rooney

New Manchester United boss Moyes insisted during his first press conference at Carrington on Sunday that the England striker was not for sale, but if a report in the Daily Mail is to be believed, Chelsea have little regard for that stance.

The London club will match Rooney's £240,000-a-week wages in a five-year deal worth a staggering £60 million, if he can force his way out of Old Trafford, the report claims.

"There are issues which remain unresolved", the paper says, and with Rooney showing no sign of backing down, Chelsea want to take advantage.

Rooney is not the only player to be mentioned in the same sentence as Chelsea today; the Mail report goes on to claim Jose Mourinho is "monitoring Luis Suarez’s position" at Liverpool too.

The Daily Mirror expands a little further, saying Mourinho is lining up a "sensational" £40m move for the Uruguayan in a bid to test Liverpool's resolve after Arsenal had a formal bid of £30m rebuffed.

Suarez's agent held talks with Liverpool on Monday - understood by the Independent to have been cordial and not involving any transfer requests or ultimatums - as the Anfield club looks to hold on to the player.

The same paper reports that Liverpool were told face-to-face by Suarez’s agent Pere Guardiola that the lack of any type of European football at Anfield next season is one of the main reasons that he wants to leave the club.

Meanwhile Premier League champions United are poised to launch another move for Everton full-back Leighton Baines.

The Daily Telegraph and the Daily Express both have the story, with the former going for an improved figure of £12m and the latter £13m following United's previously rejected £10m bid.

The Telegraph reports: "Everton have stood firm demanding for £20m for their defender and the Merseyside club are unlikely to budge if United offer only a slight improvement to their opening offer".

Chelsea are one of a pair of clubs who have been put on red alert after Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke handed in a formal transfer request last night.

The Sun reports that the Blues will battle it out with Tottenham for the £30m-rated Belgian hitman after Villa admitted they will sell if the price is right.

Mourinho has made Benteke his top target after missing out on Edinson Cavani to Paris Saint-Germain while Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas is in the race following target David Villa's move to Atletico Madrid.

As another alternative in the striking department, Tottenham are also weighing up an increased £25m offer for Valencia forward Roberto Soldado, the Daily Star reports.

To Eastlands, where Manchester City are cranking up their interest in Fiorentina striker Stevan Jovetic, says The Sun.

The paper "understands" Liverpool along with Chelsea and Arsenal are also keen on the 23-year-old Montenegro star, who has a £27m buy-out clause

A source close to the player told The Sun: “Of the top players in Europe, Stevan is the best value striker on the market right now.”

City midfielder Gareth Barry has opened talks with Arsenal over a possible £4m move to the Emirates, according to the Daily Star.

The Gunners, Tottenham and West Ham all keen on landing the former Villa star but Starsport "understands the Gunners are in pole position" to land him.

Meanwhile, Manuel Pellegrini has been dealt a blow after being told by new Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti that defender Pepe is not for sale, a report in the Independent claims.

And finally, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is set to make a player-plus-cash deal for QPR’s French striker Loic Remy.

"The Toon want Remy as their new No.1, fitting in with their French dressing room, and made the official move after failing to land Arouna Kone who joined Everton from Wigan," reports the Daily Mirror.

View comments (232)