Prince Harry and Meghan Markle kick-start six week break from royal duties

Francesca SpecterYahoo Style UK deputy editor
Meghan and Harry pictured at the annual Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall. [Photo: Getty]
Meghan and Harry pictured at the annual Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall. [Photo: Getty]

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have started their six-week break from royal engagements, it’s reported.

Prince Harry, 35, attended the OnSide Awards at the Royal Albert Hall, London, in an official capacity last night. While Markle, 38, was last photographed at a Remembrance Sunday service together with the rest of the Royal Family earlier this month.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

However, no further public engagements are currently scheduled in their diaries, according to HELLO!.

READ MORE: Prince Harry marks Charles' birthday with previously unseen photo of Archie's christening

Last month, it was first revealed that the Sussexes would be taking a break for some “much-needed family time” from mid-November onwards, although no exact date was given.

A source told The Times' royal correspondent, “The duke and duchess have a full schedule of engagements and commitments until mid-November, after which they will be taking some much-needed family time.”

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, holding their son Archie during a visit with Archbishop Desmond Tutu in South Africa. [Photo: Getty]
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, holding their son Archie during a visit with Archbishop Desmond Tutu in South Africa. [Photo: Getty]

The announcement followed a 10-day tour of South Africa for the couple and their son Archie.

During their break from royal engagements, it’s believed the Sussex family will travel to the US to spend Thanksgiving with Markle’s mother Doria Ragland.

READ MORE: What the Royal Family does at Christmas

They will stay throughout Christmas, a spokesperson for the Palace confirmed to Sky News.

This means they will not be attending the Royal Family’s annual Christmas gathering at Sandringham.

“Having spent the last two Christmases at Sandringham, their royal highnesses will spend the holiday this year, as a new family, with the duchess’ mother Doria Ragland,” said the spokesperson.

This is not the first time a royal couple has opted to go elsewhere for Christmas. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have spent two Christmases with the duchess’ parents Carole and Michael Middleton: in 2012 and 2016.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo Style UK:

What to read next