Rampant Saints down Tigers

PA Sport
Tommy Makinson scored two tries as St Helens beat Castleford convincingly

View photo

Tommy Makinson scored two tries as St Helens beat Castleford convincingly

St Helens ran in eight tries to maintain their four-year unbeaten record against Castleford in a 44-12 victory.

Saints, who had lost their last two matches, led 20-6 at the break to dash Castleford boss Ian Millward's hopes of making a winning return to his old club.

Tommy Makinson grabbed two of the Saints touchdowns, including a length-of-the-field effort, with top shows from skipper Paul Wellens, Jonny Lomax and man of the match Sol Soliola.

The Tigers made an encouraging start with prop Jacob Emmitt held up over the line against his old club. However it was Saints who took the lead after seven minutes when Anthony Laffranchi bravely dived on a kick from Lomax before crashing into the hoardings. Makinson struck the conversion.

Saints made it 12-0 midway through the first half with Wellens taking a smart return pass from Chris Flannery to cross with Lomax also involved in the move. Saints were unlucky to concede a penalty for obstruction and Cas took advantage of their good fortune for Paul Jackson to crash through a posse of defenders with Danny Orr landing the conversion.

Wellens was again the key man for Saints' third try with his long pass missing out two men to allow Makinson to squeeze over in the corner and take their advantage to 16-6. Flannery latched onto Lomax's kick to extend the Saints lead to 20-6 just before the break and leave Cas facing a near-impossible task.

The Tigers could not be faulted for their effort and sterling defence kept out Makinson early in the second half. But a full length-of-the-field try from Makinson after collecting a Richard Owen kick near his own line stretched the lead to 26-6 with Gary Wheeler booting the conversion.

Wheeler grabbed Saints sixth try from Lance Hohaia's kick and landed his second goal to make it 32-6.

The Tigers problems piled up when Adam Swift went over with Wheeler again on target.

Lomax scored a deserved try to extend the lead before Steve Snitch crossed for the Tigers' second touchdown with eight minutes left.

View comments (0)