Harry Redknapp has said whoever takes over from him at Tottenham will inherit a squad capable of winning the Barclays Premier League.
Spurs confirmed the 65-year-old's departure in the early hours of Thursday, which Redknapp - who has no intentions of retiring - felt was inevitable even if he had secured Champions League football. Everton's David Moyes, Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, former Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas and Rafael Benitez are in the frame to replace him.
"I leave behind some fantastic players. The only disappointment I have is that I think it was a team which could have gone on and eventually won the Premier League in the next year or two," Redknapp said.
He insists the current squad - which includes the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, both linked with moves away from White Hart Lane - can go on to bigger and better things, despite having faded badly over the final weeks of a campaign which had for so long promised so much.
"I just wish I could have been able to see that through and be part of that because they have some fantastic players there," he added.
Spurs lost out on Champions League football despite finishing fourth in the Premier League, because of Chelsea's Champions League final triumph over Bayern Munich last month.
"We missed out on third place by one point in the end, but that is how it goes," Redknapp said. "I think the same outcome would have happened, the chairman would have gone down the same road.
"I had four great years at Spurs. All you can do is leave the club in a better state than you found it and I did that, for sure. I abide by their decision and don't hold grudges. That is life, we all move on."
Redknapp had transformed the fortunes of the north London club since taking charge in October 2008 and chairman Daniel Levy said in a statement the decision to remove him was one the board had not made lightly.
The former Spurs manager said there were no disagreements over a new deal, with suggestions he had asked for longer than the 12-month rolling terms on offer. "It was nothing to do with contracts or me asking for anything at all. I had a year left and that was fine," he said.