Mark Clattenburg describes late night phone calls as abuse continued for years after Everton mistake

Mark Clattenburg was subjected to abuse for "two years" after refereeing Liverpool vs Everton - but revealed how he stopped it from happening.

The ex-Premier League referee opened up his experiences after taking charge of a Merseyside Derby in 2007 at Goodison Park. On that occasion Liverpool went on to win 2-1 after an injury-time penalty from Dirk Kuyt.

Having sent off two Blues players in Tony Hibbert and Phil Neville, he waved away a potential last-gasp penalty for the hosts after Joleon Lescott was pulled down in the box by Jamie Carragher with the score at 2-1 down, leading to the rage from Everton fans.

READ MORE: Jamie Carragher was right all along about Virgil van Dijk and now next Liverpool move is obvious

READ MORE: Ryan Gravenberch warned after Ronald Koeman explains 'bad situation' at Liverpool

Speaking on the Ben Heath podcast, the 49-year-old admitted to having a bad performance in the game which led to constant abuse that lasted two years. "I had a bad match [with] Everton and Liverpool where it's an important game for Merseyside and I made some mistakes in that game," he said.

"That had a knock on effect, that went on for probably a year or two years, I would get people calling my house on a Saturday night, giving us abuse, in the end the only way I could get rid of them was to get a whistle and I used to just blow the whistle as hard as I can down the phone.

"They would constantly ring during the night so eventually it stopped and I kept blowing the whistle because it must have hurt their eardrums. You never really got a huge level of abuse to your face, you've got sporadic moments where people have had too much to drink and it might overflow slightly but all of it was directed behind and it affects your children and family."

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher (R) and Joleon Lescott of Everton
Clattenburg caused controversy in the Merseyside Derby -Credit:Getty Images

Asked whether he felt nervous going into a pub in Liverpool after his mistake, he remarked, while laughing, "I don't think I ever went into a football pub in Liverpool." Adding: "The pressure after that was so huge, I remember leaving the country, I knew I wasn't refereeing the following week, I was right not to referee the next week because it was a poor performance because I missed a penalty at the end.

"There were some things in the game we could argue 'yeah there should have been a red card, or I didn't see it correctly' but the penalty at the end was the one that if I'd seen it and awarded it. Surely the VAR in today's society would have called us across and it would probably have solved everything.

"Everton two and Liverpool two, it would have balanced it out a bit. But because everything seemed to go to Liverpool at Goodison, it would have been very difficult situation for me to go around Liverpool because it took about seven years for me to referee another Everton match."

LFC: Join our WhatsApp community, sign up to a newsletter or listen to our podcasts HERE

He later confirmed that not awarding a penalty to Everton in the dying embers of that game was among the biggest mistakes he made as a referee, revealing he lent on the support of an assistant to make the controversial decision.

"The Jamie Carragher one, he pulls Joleon Lescott down and I don't even why the response was at the end of the game, I'm thinking 'why am I getting this much abuse?'

"It happened in a split second and I didn't catch it, and it's one if I'd got right, it would have put the balance back in the game because I sent off two Everton players, I should have sent off a Liverpool player but I took some advice from an assistant [because] I didn't see it correctly.

"With hindsight, I look back and it was wrong, but the penalty is the one that if it gets back to 2-2, it would have give some balance back to the match and the abuse would have been less."