Chelsea have opened talks with PSV Eindhoven over a deal to sign former Tottenham winger Noni Madueke, according to reports.
Earlier this week, Fabrizio Romano claimed that the Blues ‘like’ Madueke and are contemplating making a bid this month.
PSV reportedly will want at least €35million to sell the England Under-21 international.
Chelsea have plenty of options in forward areas, though they were all performing well below par.
Raheem Sterling was bought for around £50million last summer and Joao Felix was signed this week and will stay on loan until the end of the season.
Despite their big spending under Todd Boehly, the Premier League club will probably bring in another one or two players in the January transfer window.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Hakim Ziyech are both being linked with an exit, and should they go, Graham Potter might delve back into the market.
It is said that PSV have no intention of letting the former Tottenham youngster leave after Cody Gakpo joined Liverpool earlier this month.
The Dutch club may be tempted to sell Madueke for ‘around €45million (£40m)’, Chelsea apparently believe.
Blues technical director Christopher Vivell is ‘pushing’ to get Madueke in. He would be the club’s fifth signing of the winter window already.
RB Leipzig also expressed an interest in signing the 20-year-old when Vivell worked with the German club.
Chelsea believe Madueke can ‘improve’ the first team and has the potential to develop into a ‘world-class talent in the future’.
PSV manager Ruud van Nistelrooy admitted on Friday there is interest in the player and is reluctant to let him leave.
“I know there is interest,” he said. “But as a coach you would rather keep your best players. Situations can arise where clubs come in with an offer than cannot be stopped.
“There can be situations like with Gakpo where top club comes with a certain offer… I hope to keep Noni, we will see”.
Madueke has suffered several injuries over the last year or so.
A hamstring issue limited his appearances last season and he missed 18 games at the start of 2022-23, making his first appearance this campaign on October 20.
Chelsea have a long list of injuries at the moment with Christian Pulisic the latest person to be ruled out of action.
So, this is just what they need; another player who is injury prone.
Another forward being linked with a move to Stamford Bridge is Borussia Monchengladbach’s Marcus Thuram.
Thuram is out of contract at the end of the season and could be available for a cut-price in the winter transfer window.
READ MORE: The Joao Felix enigma is unlikely to be resolved at Chelsea or indeed anywhere yet
The article Report: Chelsea now ‘in talks’ with PSV as Potter ignores injury record with £40m bid on the cards appeared first on Football365.com.