Robber who stabbed man for his phone but left his own device behind is jailed

Jimmy Nsubuga
·2-min read
Habibullah Faqeerz, 29, has been jailed for four years. (SWNS)
Habibullah Faqeerz, 29, has been jailed for four years. (SWNS)

A robber who stabbed a man for his smartphone but accidentally left his own device behind has been jailed for four years.

Habibullah Faqeerz, 29, knifed a man in his 40s in Gravesend, Kent, on 9 June last year.

Police patrolling the area at around 3.15pm heard shouting for help and rushed to the road to find the victim with a small stab wound just under his armpit.

Officers then discovered a mobile phone, which belonged to Faqeerz, nearby, and later tracked him down.

On Friday at Woolwich Crown Court, Faqeerz was found guilty of robbery by a jury following a three-day trial and sentenced to four years in prison.

Read more: ‘Shocked' family pay tribute to boy, 9, who died after being injured at home

A general view shows Woolwich Crown Court, ahead of a hearing to decide whether Julian Assange should be extradited to the United States, in London, Britain February 24, 2020. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay
He was jailed at Woolwich Crown Court. (Reuters)

Read more: Man in his 30s found stabbed to death and floating in reservoir

The victim told police he befriended Faqeerz the previous day at nearby Dartford station and the defendant promised him work.

When they met, Faqeerz asked the victim for a cigarette but the pair then started talking about employment on a train ride to Gravesend.

As a result of the conversation, the victim agreed to meet Faqeerz at Gravesend station the following afternoon with some money and ID documents.

When they met for the second time, Faqeerz walked the victim around half a mile to a side street, behind a nearby building before suddenly grabbing him.

Investigators got CCTV that showed Faqeerz meeting the victim and the defendant was arrested five days later.

The victim then identified him in an ID parade and he had been held on remand since.

Read more: Teenager arrested on suspicion of murder after taxi driver was stabbed to death

Detective Constable Rebecca Veares of Kent Police, who was the investigating officer in the case, said Faqeerz was a danger to the public due to his use of violence.

She added: "Faqeerz is a clear and obvious threat to public safety and I am pleased that he is behind bars and justice has been secured for the victim.

"Faqeerz’s willingness to use serious violence to attempt to steal an item of relatively low value shows him to be little more than a callous thief with little regard for anyone else’s wellbeing.

"There can be no tolerance for such offending and we will always pursue every reasonable line of enquiry to ensure offenders like Faqeerz are removed from the streets."