Rugby League - Featherstone tie up top spot

Featherstone claimed top spot for the fourth consecutive year with a 46-8 win over Hunslet at the South Leeds Stadium that condemned the Hawks to relegation from the Kingstone Press Championship.

PA Sport
Rugby League - Featherstone tie up top spot

View photo

Sean Long's Featherstone topped the Championship table

Rovers, who went top in midweek after beating long-time leaders Sheffield Eagles, ran in eight tries against the Hawks, who will join York in Championship One in 2014.

Hunslet's fate was confirmed when Barrow, who began the day in the other relegation spot, beat Keighley 24-14 at Craven Park.

James Lockwood gave Featherstone the lead with a 12th-minute try and Andy Kain, Matty Dale and Matt James added others before half-time, when they led 24-0.

Lee Mapals pulled a try back for the Hawks and Waine Pryce scored on his farewell appearance but Kain grabbed a second for the visitors and others came from Will Sharp, Jack Bussey and Liam Finn, who also kicked seven goals.

Featherstone will be at home to Leigh in the first round of the play-offs while Sheffield will host Halifax.

After going 15 league matches without defeat, the Eagles suffered their second loss in five days when they went down 34-20 to Doncaster at the Keepmoat Stadium, despite Menzie Yere continuing his remarkable try-scoring feat to equal the club record.

Early tries from David Scott and Kyle Trout gave Doncaster a 10-0 lead before Yere opened his account with his 113th try for the club and Vinny Finigan's touchdown made it 10-10.

Scott got his second and Lee Waterman also touched before half-time as Doncaster led 22-10 and, although Yere grabbed his second to equal the all-time tally of Daryl Powell and Quentin Laulu-Togagae added another, the home side clinched the points further with further scores from Trout and Stewart Sanderson to secure a sixth-place finish.

Halifax finished the regular season on a high with a 40-18 win over Workington, who were playing their seventh game in 25 days.

Halifax never looked back after scoring early tries through Rob Worrincy and Dane Manning.

Steve Tyrer scored a third before Elliot Miller pulled a try back for the Cumbrians, who trailed 18-6 at half-time and added a consolation score through Jarrad Stack.

Andy Bracek, Keith Holden, Lee Paterson and Ryan Fieldhouse were second-half try-scorers for the home side.

Leigh let slip a 16-6 half-time lead against Dewsbury to go down 24-22 at the Leigh Sports Village.

Former Bradford and Wigan threequarter Karl Pryce scored two tries for the Rams while Stuart Littler, Ryan Brierley, Jonathan Pownall and Tommy Goulden got the Centurions' tries.

Swinton fought a season-long battle against relegation but they ended it on a high with a 32-24 win over Whitehaven at the Recreation Ground.

Centre Mick Nanyn scored 12 points with four goals and a try to overtake Kel Coslett and climb to seventh place in the list of all-time scorers.

Whitehaven led 10-0 thanks to tries from Chris Fleming and Cain Southernwood inside the first 10 minutes but the Lions turned the game on its head with three tries in 10 minutes through Samir Tahraoui, Kevin Penny and Jordan Burke to lead 16-10 at half-time.

Winger Craig Calvert kept alive Whitehaven's chances with two second-half tries but Swinton remained in control with James Mendeika scoring the match-winning try.

Barrow made a dream start in their must-win game against Keighley as tries from Nathan Mossop and Adam Clay in the opening quarter gave them 10-0 lead.

Brendan Rawlings replied for the Cougars but Max Wiper made it 16-6 before Elliot Cosgrove added a second for the visitors just before the break.

Kurt Haggerty kicked a penalty to extend his side's lead to 18-10 and, although Ollie Pursglove scored a third try for the visitors, Mossop clinched the victory with his second try.

Huddersfield prop Anthony Mullally scored two tries for Batley, where he is playing on a dual registration, in their 34-16 win at relegated York.

Batley led 12-0 thanks to tries from Mullally and Danny Maun and, although the Knights struck back either side of half-time through Ben Johnston and George Elliott, the Bulldogs secured victory through Gareth Potts, Paul Mennell and Miles Greenwood.

Meanwhile, North Wales Crusaders secured automatic promotion from Championship One thanks to a 35-22 win over South Wales Scorpions in Wrexham, despite the dismissal of Jamie Dallimore for a spear tackle on Shae Lyon Fraser.

The Scorpions, who needed to win to keep alive their own promotion play-off hopes, led 12-4 but the Crusaders finished the stronger side and clinched victory with a try from Owain Griffiths, son of coach Clive Griffiths, 10 minutes from the end.

View comments (1)