Rugby League - Mixed emotions for debutant Ellis

Hull captain Gareth Ellis revealed he had mixed emotions of excitement and nerves heading into his long-awaited debut for the club, which the Black and Whites won 48-12 against London Broncos.

PA Sport
Rugby League - Mixed emotions for debutant Ellis

View photo

Gareth Ellis, centre, finally made his long-awaited debut for Hull against London

Ellis, 32 on Friday, was meant to make his debut on the opening day of the season at former club Leeds in February but a foot injury robbed him of the opportunity.

He admitted that coming back into a Hull side in form, winning five from six in all competitions, was helpful for him, saying: "I was really excited before the game. Even getting in with the lads this week has been a breath of fresh air from sitting in the gym on my own."

Ellis added: "Before the game part of me was looking forward to this bit when everything was done and I'd come through unscathed without any incidents, so that's the pleasing thing. I made a conscious effort in the last few days to play it all down and prepare as I normally would.

"To run out in front of the home crowd was really good and it brought back memories of when I first signed for the club. Even though we didn't win last week against Wigan, it has made it a lot easier for me coming in with the side in good form."

Hull head coach Peter Gentle admitted he had planned to remain cautious with Daniel Holdsworth, who returned after concussion problems.

"I told Gareth Ellis he would play for 25 minutes and then we would get him off, but I played him for 80, so he knows I tell fibs now. Richard Horne just tightened up, and Joe Westerman got a nasty dislocation on his thumb, but it managed to go back in okay and obviously he'll have scans on that tomorrow," said Gentle.

"Daniel Holdsworth was always going to come off around the 50-minute mark. We pushed him out to the 60-minute mark and the game was pretty much put to bed by then. He has got no side effects whatsoever, and he's ready to go next week."

The Broncos dominated early on and head coach Tony Rea was disappointed his side only posted six points in the opening half, and he felt some of his players "decided to quit" in the second half.

"In the first half we were fighting and competing which kept us right in the contest, but as you saw in the second half we just didn't compete," said Rea. "I thought we tried to force the ball a little too much early on. We needed to be more controlled with the ball. When we were on top we tried to do something magical but it was actually about being controlled."

View comments (0)