Scottish Premiership - Celtic strike twice in injury-time to snatch victory

Celtic struck twice in injury-time through substitute Derk Boerrigter and Kris Commons to beat Aberdeen 3-1 in an enthralling Scottish Premiership encounter at Parkhead.

PA Sport
Scottish Premiership - Celtic strike twice in injury-time to snatch victory

View photo

Kris Commons, right, scores the first of his two goals against Aberdeen

Commons opened the scoring in the 35th minute before former Hoops forward Niall McGinn levelled in first-half stoppage time.

Georgios Samaras and McGinn both hit the woodwork as the sides swapped chances in the second half before Boerrigter, on for Teemu Pukki, prodded the ball over the line in the first minute of added time after Jamie Langfield had parried a Virgil van Dijk header.

The Dons were stunned again moments later when Commons slammed the ball in from close range to extend the leaders' unbeaten league run to 13 games.

Inverness kept up the pressure on leaders Celtic with a 1-0 home win over St Johnstone.

A close-range effort from the prolific Billy McKay decided the contest after a matter of minutes as both teams cancelled each other out in the remainder of the game.

The score was McKay's 10th league goal of the season and ensured he would remain at the top of the Premiership's goalscoring charts.

Dundee United continued their recent run of fine form as they swept past nine-man Partick Thistle with a 4-1 victory at Tannadice.

Jackie McNamara's men were comfortable winners in the end to see off their visitors who had Aaron Muirhead and Stuart Bannigan sent off to make matters worse.

Gary Mackay-Steven put the Taysiders ahead before Muirhead equalised from the penalty spot after 55 minutes.

But United were always on top and regained the lead through Andrew Robertson, while further goals from Mackay-Steven and substitute Brian Graham left the Jags without reply following the dismissals of Muirhead and Bannigan.

Ryan Stevenson scored a late equaliser against 10-man Ross County to grab a crucial point for Hearts in a 2-2 draw at Tynecastle.

In a compelling 90 minutes of football, the visitors went ahead through Graham Carey following a slack pass back by Callum Tapping.

Callum Paterson levelled before the break but the impressive Melvin De Leeuw restored County's lead with a fine finish.

The Staggies were reduced to 10 men when captain Richard Brittain was shown a second yellow card and Stevenson levelled with two minutes left.

Motherwell strikers John Sutton and Henri Anier were on target again to inflict a 2-0 defeat on Kilmarnock and leave their hosts stuck in the relegation play-off place.

Motherwell had missed a handful of good chances before the unmarked Sutton scored a diving header from an Iain Vigurs cross in a 54th-minute counter-attack.

Kris Boyd missed a great chance to equalise and Anier came off the bench to round off the victory with an opportunist goal with two minutes remaining.

Terry Butcher enjoyed a positive start to his Hibernian reign by claiming a point from his first match in charge as they drew 0-0 against St Mirren.

The new Easter Road boss may not have had a win to celebrate at the end of the goalless encounter at St Mirren Park.

But he would have taken some satisfaction from ending a run of four straight defeats endured by the Edinburgh side before he took over the hotseat in Leith.

View comments (53)